forum Personal Venting Chat, New and Improved! (Without Jerks)
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 126 followers

Deleted user

I mean, I still have four brackets in the back because of the surgery I need, but other than that we're done!
And I don't have any spots like I was worried about!
Aaaand I have to wear retainers 24/7 for two months which feel hella annoying!

@SupernaturalSyGuyIsTIred group

Spit. Then we can input. Or not. You decide.

Okay…. I'm working on writing the backstory for a character that's 1,050 years old. I know for sure that he participated in the American Revolution, the US Civil War, and both World Wars. There are other wars that he might have fought in as well, but I'm not sure if it's a bit much or not…. Those wars are as follows:

• The French and Indian War (Seven Years War): 1756-1763
  • War of 1812: 1812-1814
  • Mexican War: 1846-1848
  • Spanish-American War: 1898
  • Korean War: 1950-1953
  • Vietnamese War: 1950-1975
  • Persian Gulf War: 1991
  • Iraqi War: 2003-2011

@actual-fandom-trash

I mean, I still have four brackets in the back because of the surgery I need, but other than that we're done!
And I don't have any spots like I was worried about!
Aaaand I have to wear retainers 24/7 for two months which feel hella annoying!

ooh niceee
I still need braces for a little over a year

Spit. Then we can input. Or not. You decide.

Okay…. I'm working on writing the backstory for a character that's 1,050 years old. I know for sure that he participated in the American Revolution, the US Civil War, and both World Wars. There are other wars that he might have fought in as well, but I'm not sure if it's a bit much or not…. Those wars are as follows:

• The French and Indian War (Seven Years War): 1756-1763
  • War of 1812: 1812-1814
  • Mexican War: 1846-1848
  • Spanish-American War: 1898
  • Korean War: 1950-1953
  • Vietnamese War: 1950-1975
  • Persian Gulf War: 1991
  • Iraqi War: 2003-2011

Aaaaaaaand now I'm having an anxiety attack; yay! 😳

Sucks. How does he feel about war? Would he be down with it? Patriotic? Run away because of his previous experience?

I'm not quite sure how he feels about war just yet, but he would 'be down with it' since he sees it similar to hunting (monsters, entities, deities, etc, even other humans at times).

@Relsey

@SupernaturalSyGuyWantsACappuccino
Concerning this character, I'm going to say, you need to have a very good reason for him to be in those war's for you to include it in his backstory, Just the ones you mentioned knowing he is in make me uneasy. I worry that you don't fully understand what it means to have been a soldier in those wars. It would be extremely irresponsible of you if you had him fight in so many war's willingly with out a very clear motivation especially The World War's and The American Civil war. Many soldiers who came home from World War 1 had extreme PTSD. The thing's your character would have seen in the trenches would scar him for life. I challenge you to find one soldier's account from the first World war that said they would willingly go back and do that again. Well seasoned, experienced Soldiers in World War Two were absolutely devastated when they saw the piles and piles of bodies in Concentration camps. My APUSH teacher had a textbook dedicated to World War two and in it there is a first hand account of a soldier who described how horrific it was to see such disrespect to human life, how sick it made him, how his comrades were vomiting at the sight and smell. He describes how some just sat in shock that anything this horrific could ever be done by a human being to a human being. So having him experience such bloody, terrible display's of human cruelty and slaughter and then saying he went back and enlisted for another war doesn't sit right with me unless he has a very clear motivation for doing so. I think it would be extremely disrespectful to the Men and Women who fought those war's especially World War One if the motivation wasn't extremely strong. I would also expect to see clear mental consequences for these wars. The American Civil war was the bloodiest American war, to date, Friend's fighting friends you could have siblings shooting each other, that's not something you come back from seeing unscathed. In short I would say, He had best have an extremely strong motivation, and He had best show the mental consequences. War is a subject that need's to be considered and thought through very carefully when you're writing with it, There are far to many instances where it is glorified. My fear is that you will casually mention that he fought in one or all of these war's and never address the consequences. We as Writers Take on a responsibility to talk about those consequences when we put our character's through them.
I apologize for being such a wet blanket when it comes to this but it just wouldn't sit right with me if I didn't say it.

@Relsey

If you can't tell It's something I feel very strongly about. I came out of my Chemistry frenzy to write that out. Now I must return to it because the clock is ticking and this assignment count's as my final. Also the AP Chem test is in 32 hour's and 21 minutes.

@HighPockets group

My thoughts exactly. When you bring war into a story, you need to commit to it and show its effects as opposed to just dropping in a "yeah, the Civil War was pretty neat". Also, the motivations for every war were very different. For example, the Revolution and the Civil War were fights for freedom, but the Spanish-American War was about the U.S. wanting Spain's colonies. So unless he's fighting for the fun of it (which is a really bad concept since war isn't just some fun little side quest), it's weird that he'd fight to free slaves but also to take over other countries.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

If you can't tell It's something I feel very strongly about. I came out of my Chemistry frenzy to write that out. Now I must return to it because the clock is ticking and this assignment count's as my final. Also the AP Chem test is in 32 hour's and 21 minutes.

I wish you good luck on your Chem.

@HighPockets group

Good luck! I have my APUSH one on Friday.

@galaxyunicorn-is-in-love-with-starry

I'm disappointed in humans

Why?

I'm on another website (it's called Hogwarts is here) and in the LGBTQ+ group this person joined, commented horrible things on pretty much every post, and posts this to the group

I put it under a spoiler so uh trigger warning and look at your own risk

@ElderGod-Icefire

Also, @SupernaturalSyGuyWantsACappuccino , WW1 often gets brushed under the rug, but it was horrific. Read "All Quiet on the Western Front", and then make a decision on that war. Because that war and that book were horrific. The men in the trenches were often fighting in the same trench their best friends had died in. Bodies couldn't be buried because of the shelling, so they were left in the trenches to rot and stink. Disease was rampant on both sides. Men couldn't stand upright without getting shot. The shells rained down almost twenty four seven, and if you tried to leave, tried to make the noise stop, you could be shot by your own commanders for "cowardice". The noise alone drove men insane, "battle-mad". Many couldn't handle fireworks after the war, because those sounds brought their minds right back to the trenches. They couldn't readjust to civilian life because they had spent so long in those trenches, fighting for their lives every second of every day, always terrified that the other side was going to make an end of it in the night. In the battle of the Somme, the British dug tunnels beneath the German lines, planted explosives, and created the biggest man-made crater ever at that point in history. Can you imagine being one of those workers, waiting for the tunnel to fall on your head? In addition, when those men charged the other trench, it wasn't a run. It was too far and too muddy and too pitted and cratered to run. They walked. They walked, while being mown down by machine guns and shells, and by the time they reached the other side, many died in the barbed wire without ever having reached the other trench. If you made it back to your own trench, you may be the only man in your company left, because all the others died. And the shelling? Never, ever, ever stopped. Night or day, it continued on. Sometimes they were duds and they didn't even explode. Sometimes they exploded too soon, killing the men firing it. The gas? Chlorine gas, in the beginning. You breathe it in, and you start coughing up pieces of your lungs. You lose your vision, because it destroys your eyes. And you're still choking, dying on pieces of your own lungs, unable to breathe, unable to see, and still the shelling goes on. If you somehow made it to a medic, and then to a field hospital, guess what? There's nothing they can do. You will most likely die a long, agonizing death, coughing up your lungs in a field hospital, far from home. Or, you survive, and then you go home. But you're blind. Your breathing is never, ever the same again. And you have PTSD now. You will likely never adjust to civilian life.

War is not something that should be done for glory, for Honor. War is something that sometimes is necessary and is always, always painful. World War One is often labeled "the forgotten war", but it's soldiers fought, arguably, a far more horrific battle than any other in history

thank you for coming to my Tedtalk

@galaxyunicorn-is-in-love-with-starry

It said this