forum Your Personal Venting Space 3: Tokyo Drift
Started by @The-N-U-T-Cracker
tune

people_alt 147 followers

@berlioz

Ramadan Mubarak, you two
I'm not Muslim, but Islam is valuable to me so I might try fasting for Ramadan one year.

@berlioz

Islam is valuable to me because all religions are valuable to me. Yes, Islam has it's problems, but at its core I believe it can be something beautiful. It's interesting and carries a lot of applicable wisdom with it, like most religions. I'd like to try fasting for Ramadan one year because it carries a lot of that wisdom. Some reasons Muslims fast during Ramadan is to understand the struggles of the poor, and to take time focusing on something greater than their need for food and drink. Fasting is something anyone can try, and anyone can benefit from. For me, fasting during Ramadan would provide a personal look into Islamic culture. Anyone can do it, just like anyone can pray or sing praises or attend a religious service. Plus, I'm an omnist, so learning about and participating in multiple religions is important to me.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

Islam is valuable to me because all religions are valuable to me. Yes, Islam has it's problems, but at its core I believe it can be something beautiful. It's interesting and carries a lot of applicable wisdom with it, like most religions. I'd like to try fasting for Ramadan one year because it carries a lot of that wisdom. Some reasons Muslims fast during Ramadan is to understand the struggles of the poor, and to take time focusing on something greater than their need for food and drink. Fasting is something anyone can try, and anyone can benefit from. For me, fasting during Ramadan would provide a personal look into Islamic culture. Anyone can do it, just like anyone can pray or sing praises or attend a religious service. Plus, I'm an omnist, so learning about and participating in multiple religions is important to me.

That’s really cool. What’s an omnist?

@berlioz

For some omnists it's like that, yeah. To others each is literally true, and still others they take a (hopefully) respectful eclectic approach and choose to practice different elements of multiple religions.

@Becfromthedead group

Happier vent ig?
I've been really worried about taking standardized testing for grad school this summer.
But I casually took a practice LSAT earlier, and despite me being about to fall asleep and not being in the headspace to take that kind of test, I got a 158 (it's scored between 120-180), which is above average and about the 25th percentile for accepted students at the schools I'm looking at. And that was without trying that hard. :)
I'm not looking for a top law school at all, I'm applying for a dual degree program in public health and law so I can work on policy and health equity.
But yeah, I'm a lot less worried about that part now (though uhm….. money could be an issue)

@Becfromthedead group

Oop, I forgot to respond to this.
No, I haven't looked into scholarships yet. My parents keep saying they "don't have many scholarships for grad school" which is hella discouraging, although probably wrong. I'm thoroughly spooked. Also not sure where I want to go, but like I said, I'm not trying to get in anywhere super prestigious, so it shouldn't be as bad for both admissions and tuition. Looking around Georgia for a school(God I hate Georgia, but that in state tuition…..). Also big worried about getting separated from the fiance. Ldrs are not my jam. We'd make it work but it still sucks.
Though I figure if I have to go into debt, I'll either pay it off eventually, or one day I'll die and so will the debt. I'm not accruing much debt from undergrad though, so that's good.

@Becfromthedead group

What bothers me is that campus life approved of the event happening on a weeknight and late into the night at that.
So no amount of noise complaint would really help (even though they were totally loud into quiet hours, which is after 10 pm)

@berlioz

I am experiencing ✨symptoms of COVID-19✨
I would go to the nurses office but we don't have one. I'm gunna ask a teacher for a pulse oximeter or something, I don't know. I really hope I don't have it because school is almost over and I don't want to spend the last days I have of seeing my friends in quarantine. Plus I'm immuno-compromised so I could be fucked but maybe not maybe I'm being anxious over nothing who knows guess we'll see~~

In related news, I didn't get sick almost at all last year because of the masks. Everyone kept their colds to themselves and I got to enjoy Christmas healthy for the first time in years.