forum The Roodeness Shenanigans
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 110 followers

@ElderGod-Icefire

What traumatized you in that?

No exactly, that's my point. It's not traumatizing at all, and it's the only thing I can think of that could, in any way, have been traumatizing

To be fair their was that one time with the catapults loaded with

Oh yeah, I forgot about that

Ngl, the most traumatizing part (to me) is the fucking barrow wights lmao

Completely fair they were creepy.

Well yeah, but like. Nothing else fazed me except those guys, and it's just hilarious to me that eight or nine year old me read all the battle scenes, Shelob, the ghost king, the Nazgul, all of that, and decided that the barrow wights were the scariest of all of it

@darling-velocipede group

I mean my class read Between Shades of Grey, Salt to the Sea, Hunting Spirit Bear, and Jekyll and Hyde for middle school. Same with Frankenstein, Hamlet, and The House of the Scorpion.

salt to the sea was brutal

@HighPockets group

I went to a Catholic school and a lot of the books we read were probably above our age level tbh. Like I said, we were reading gothic lit in 7th grade. And I've always had a super high reading level so the teachers were pretty chill with me reading whatever, I remember one time my friend's mom told me I should wait to read the 6th and 7th HP books because they got "dark" and I was just like "??? and???" lol

@HighPockets group

my dumb ass started anne frank's diary and stopped reading because i thought it was boring

We only read the play version, I want to read the real one at some point

@HighPockets group

I mean my class read Between Shades of Grey, Salt to the Sea, Hunting Spirit Bear, and Jekyll and Hyde for middle school. Same with Frankenstein, Hamlet, and The House of the Scorpion.

salt to the sea was brutal

I need to reread it, I know I almost cried at the ending.

@croccin-champagne

oh yeah, i had a john green kick in fifth grade or so. not saying any of that is horribly traumatizing but some of it is definitely not fifth grade appropriate

yeah, there's some stuff about her wanting to kiss a girl that could signal that she was gay or bisexual. at the same time, as a queer jewish person, it's really not respectful to speculate about that stuff relating to a child considering the nature of her story.

Ooh okay. I just wanted to ask? But yeah I definitely get that it's not respectful, my bad

oh seriously man don't worry about it! you didn't do anything wrong– but there are some people who take it too far; call her a 'bisexual icon' and all that.

@berlioz

My biology teacher (a great hyooman) recommended To Destroy You is No Loss about a year ago, but he warned that it fucked him up bad for weeks so if I was gunna read it I better be emotionally stable.
Haven't summed up the courage for that one yet. Has anyone read it?

@HighPockets group

Ooh okay. I just wanted to ask? But yeah I definitely get that it's not respectful, my bad

oh seriously man don't worry about it! you didn't do anything wrong– but there are some people who take it too far; call her a 'bisexual icon' and all that.

That sort of thing is super weird in general, like it's good to know about historical LGBTQ people and all but I don't like it when people are like "omg the original Bicon" and stuff, especially when we don't even know if that's how they'd identify. And it's especially weird to say that about a teenage girl who died in the Holocaust, like that should not be your takeaway from reading her diary.

@HighPockets group

I wanna read They Both Die at the End. Just to see if I’m sad. Probs will be.

Same. I haven't read anything by Silvera but I know that Lizzie and I think also Ice (correct me if I'm wrong) really liked it

@ElderGod-Icefire

I wanna read They Both Die at the End. Just to see if I’m sad. Probs will be.

Same. I haven't read anything by Silvera but I know that Lizzie and I think also Ice (correct me if I'm wrong) really liked it

Oh yeah I loved it. Cried super hard at the end, but I loved it

@ElderGod-Icefire

That sort of thing is super weird in general, like it's good to know about historical LGBTQ people and all but I don't like it when people are like "omg the original Bicon" and stuff, especially when we don't even know if that's how they'd identify. And it's especially weird to say that about a teenage girl who died in the Holocaust, like that should not be your takeaway from reading her diary.

Ooh definitely yeah. Like it's one thing to acknowledge it and be like "yeah she might have been, she wrote about it", but the takeaway should not be "bicon!!" The takeaway should be "holocaust bad" (to put it in oversimplified terms). And it's the same with any historical figure. You cannot boil them down to just their sexuality, especially if their sexuality is not known for certain. But even if it is, you should not just boil historical figures down to "bisexual icon" or whatever. It's just Bad in general