forum Personal Venting Chat, New and Improved! (Without Jerks)
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 126 followers

@Pickles group

Do you ever word something poorly but you don't know how else to phrase it and you end up hating yourself because it's exactly the thing you see someone else say and groan because it sounds disgusting

Yes, I do. I do that a lot.

Thesaurus.com my friend.

It's not the words that are the problem, it's the fact that they go in an order that sounds disgusting, but there's not another way to rearrange them

Deleted user

Ay Eva, assuming you use More (the library site thing) could you send me a link??? I can't get it????????????

@HighPockets group

Ay Eva, assuming you use More (the library site thing) could you send me a link??? I can't get it????????????

I use LINKcat, sorry!

@Relsey

Welcome to English Essay's 101, I'm Relsey your instructor. This is part two, structure and key inclusions.
I believe I've already stated the importance of a good Intro, I'm going to say it again. Having a good intro is imperative it is the foundation of your essay. Now I gave you a formula for History essay intro's, English essay intros are almost exactly the same, Hook, Background info, Thesis, Evidence, Thesis. The only change is changing Argument to Evidence, this is primarily because of Synthesis and Rhetorical analysis essay's. In History and Argument essay's you have an Opinion backed by Arguments. In most English essay's you have an Argument backed by evidence.
You'll want to begin your Essay with a hook, get your reader interested, catch their attention. Hooks an be rhetorical questions, I like to put my writing skills to work here doing dramatic descriptions and such. Make your reader ask a question with your hook, remember they don't care about what you are writing right now, Make them care. I would recommend using Ethos, and Pathos in your hook, if you can include them you are set, Don't be afraid to be a bit cheesy or corny, do what it takes to get your readers interested. For example, "In hundreds of homes around the world you can find a copy of a book that has sold 150 million copies. Loved by Millions of fan's this book has inspired Authors for decades with it's wondrous world building and fantastical adventures. This Book is none other than J.R.R Tolkien's Lord of The Ring's."
Background information can be a killer when it comes to an essay, don't just include some fact's and call it good, no one likes a poorly done Info dump, make it feel natural, keep the flow natural, don't loose the appeal of your hook. keep them intrigued with the stats and information you are presenting, Diction is key here, choose your words wisely and don't over do it. I would even advise writing the entire essay and then going back to your Intro to take out any background information that didn't end up being relevant or add in information that might be needed. Remember you reader isn't entirely sure they want to read this, Make them sure. "The Author of this masterful Trilogy spent 40 years developing this epic fantasy adventure, During this time He fought in the most horrific war in World history, World War One."
Then you hit them with your thesis, It should flow directly out of your background information, the last thing you want to do is jar your audience. " J.R.R Tolkien's experiences in WW1, were influential in shaping Middle earth." Boom thesis, but it flow's out of your background info.
On to your Evidence, don't break the flow. In English essay's the Flow is just as important as your Intro it's self. Make your case here, you've given them some information, but now you need to really make your case. Give them a solid x,y,z, tell them what to expect in the rest of the essay. Remember keep the flow, use similar diction throw in some parallelism, it'd the easiest rhetorical devise to use and it is effective. Now just restate your thesis, remind them what you're talking about.
All of your body paragraphs should have a similar structure, Topic sentence, Three details (One of these can be a quote), Conclusion. At the end of each paragraph restate your thesis, your conclusion should tell readers why the Evidence proves the thesis.
First paragraph, hit the ground running and don't lose the flow, start with X go in order. X should be your strongest point the one you have the most information on, it's what you can write the most about. The reasoning behind this is if you're writing a timed essay you want your strongest evidence to be the essay you spend the most time on. Not every essay is timed, but it's a good habit to be in, remember your still trying to keep your reader hooked. A quote isn't needed for this paragraph, if you only have one quote save it, if you have two or three, go ahead and throw one in. don't use everything up yet, save some surprised for the fallowing paragraphs. this paragraph you should be able to avoid to much repetition but don't avoid it entirely, be sparing with it. You don't want it to feel like they're reading the same thing over and over to keep that from happening this paragraph has to be snatched.Now smooth transition onto second paragraph.
Second paragraph is where you pull out the quote, Now quotes are great, graders love to see them but they can murder your flow if you don't do it right, so do it right, Part one tells you how to do it right. Now this is where is should start to feel a bit tricky for your word count. Now the key to getting that word count is the conclusion of your body paragraphs. This is where you can be repetitive, go back and talk about how all of those things you talked about in your first paragraph tie into your second paragraph, steal from the first paragraph and put it in the second, this will help with flow believe it or not, it'll tie everything together nicely and add to your word count to appease the monster that is English teachers.
Third body paragraph, fallow the steps, you can do this, now this is where we're going to put the game changer, this is your trump card. A Historical Reference, Teachers and graders love historical references, talk about how you can see this aspect of human nature reflected in the 7 years war or something, make it work. Historical references elevate any essay, find a way to put on in and you are destined to have a B+ or higher. The reason we put it here is because this is your weakest argument you need the History to beef it up. Remember in this conclusion to include how paragraphs 1 and 2 tie into this one.
You've made it to your conclusion, all you've got to do is take the intro and flip it upside down. Take the conclusion's from your three paragraphs and use them to put together your actual conclusion. once that's all said and done you have a solid essay. Fiddle with it to make sure the flow is good and submit.
This has been English Essay's 101 part two. I hope this has been someone useful.

@HighPockets group

If it's not too much, could you do one of those for Document Based Questions? I always struggle with those, and I have the APUSH test this week

@Relsey

If it's not too much, could you do one of those for Document Based Questions? I always struggle with those, and I have the APUSH test this week

I don't mind, I'm taking the APUSH test as well this week.

@HighPockets group

I don't mind, I'm taking the APUSH test as well this week.

Good luck with it! Mine will just be 2 essay questions, so it shouldn't be too hard.

@Relsey

Welcome to DBQ's 101, I'm Relsey your instructor. This will probably be a bit shorter than normal.
DBQ's scare a lot of people but at it's core it's a regular History essay so I am going to Direct you to History Essay's 101 https://www.notebook.ai/documents/108522 for structure This will focus on annotating and getting information from your document's and using it.
Your prompt for a DBQ is usually a type one prompt or, its usually a question that gives you your thesis, so your thesis shouldn't be to difficult to come up with, Now you have to be a good reader for these especially if it's timed. When you first look at your document keep the prompt question in mind. Now go in with your highlighter, as you read look for things that could be used for either side of the argument. Write in the margins how you think it could be used. Do this for every document when you finish going through the documents find a space to write out an outline. This is when you decide what to argue, outline your intro. Write out your X, Y, and Z. once you have an outline of what you want to do figure out whitch documents are going to work for X,Y,and Z. Now that you have the ones that work for you find the documents that argue against you pair up an argument with a counter argument.
Now you should have a pretty decent outline so start writing. The difference between History 101 and what you want to do is for every argument put a counter argument and say why that counter argument isn't true. There should be two quotes per paragraph, one for the argument one for the counterargument. Those annotations you made earlier are going to be the key when it comes to saving time, because you did that first you can find your quotes easily. Really the key to DBQ's is your annotation skills, if you're not confident with them practice. print out old DBQ's and annotate them until you feel confident in your annotating skills, you can find previous AP ones on Collage board.com.
This concludes this short lesson, hopefully it was helpful, if you have further question's feel free to PM. I wrote this one out rather quickly comparatively so I probably missed something. I would also recommend English Essay's 101 to see how to do quotes properly.

Deleted user

yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo