forum Share things nobody asked you to share
Started by @Knight-Shives group
tune

people_alt 206 followers

@berlioz

Can't relate to any of y'all

Same question for you, does having aphantasia affect your daily life, and if so, how?? Sorry, I just wanna know more about this.

I know you didn't ask me, but I have partial aphantasia and I mean look at the title of the chat so imma share how it affects me

1. Writing. I'm a writer, we're all writers here. If I have a good idea and want to start worldbuilding, the first hurdle is almost always aesthetics- how things look and stuff. It's easy for my brain to describe them, ei. yellow jacket, white skin, freckles, curly hair- but actually viewing my character is difficult. It takes me forever to be able to see a character, and even then it's dark and missing spots so it's like I can only see some of them at a time. Coming up with settings or maps is the same, I can describe it like "it's gunna be a square room with checkered flooring and red walls" but actually watching the story play out in there is damn near impossible since keeping the room there and putting the characters in there is just. Too hard. It's dark and far away and hard to explain. But yeah visualizing for writing is difficult.
  2. Reading. Luckily this isn't too difficult- most of the time. No one needs to visualize to read. If the book provides a character description, it may be enjoyable for normal brains to visualize that character. But for me, I take in the information and continue with the story. I can know what the character looks like without actually visualizing them. It gets hard when books start describing complex settings like where objects are in relation to other things in a house or something. That takes me forever to visualize and I often have to reread, because I know if the author is going into detail about where and how corridors connect or something, it's important and I'll forget. I like movies a lot more because they're stories with visual components that I don't have to do mental gymnastics to be able to see.
  3. Meditations and coping mechanisms. Like "close your eyes and picture" guides are not in any way helpful.
  4. Spatial memory. I can't remember the dimensions of a room or hallway and I have a terrible time judging distance.
  5. Directions sometimes? Like when someone gives me directions to go somewhere or retrieve something, when they describe how to get there or what it looks like I just. hUH. I'll see a what now? That might be my ADD tho I have a bad time following mutli step instructions.
  6. Geometry. I'm bad at math in general, but you know the little triangles with the dotted lines going through them? They're just that to me, just lines and dotted lines. I simply cannot imagine the 3D images we're supposed to be measuring or calculating.

@ZephirFox8812

Can't relate to any of y'all

Same question for you, does having aphantasia affect your daily life, and if so, how?? Sorry, I just wanna know more about this.

I know you didn't ask me, but I have partial aphantasia and I mean look at the title of the chat so imma share how it affects me

1. Writing. I'm a writer, we're all writers here. If I have a good idea and want to start worldbuilding, the first hurdle is almost always aesthetics- how things look and stuff. It's easy for my brain to describe them, ei. yellow jacket, white skin, freckles, curly hair- but actually viewing my character is difficult. It takes me forever to be able to see a character, and even then it's dark and missing spots so it's like I can only see some of them at a time. Coming up with settings or maps is the same, I can describe it like "it's gunna be a square room with checkered flooring and red walls" but actually watching the story play out in there is damn near impossible since keeping the room there and putting the characters in there is just. Too hard. It's dark and far away and hard to explain. But yeah visualizing for writing is difficult.
  2. Reading. Luckily this isn't too difficult- most of the time. No one needs to visualize to read. If the book provides a character description, it may be enjoyable for normal brains to visualize that character. But for me, I take in the information and continue with the story. I can know what the character looks like without actually visualizing them. It gets hard when books start describing complex settings like where objects are in relation to other things in a house or something. That takes me forever to visualize and I often have to reread, because I know if the author is going into detail about where and how corridors connect or something, it's important and I'll forget. I like movies a lot more because they're stories with visual components that I don't have to do mental gymnastics to be able to see.
  3. Meditations and coping mechanisms. Like "close your eyes and picture" guides are not in any way helpful.
  4. Spatial memory. I can't remember the dimensions of a room or hallway and I have a terrible time judging distance.
  5. Directions sometimes? Like when someone gives me directions to go somewhere or retrieve something, when they describe how to get there or what it looks like I just. hUH. I'll see a what now? That might be my ADD tho I have a bad time following mutli step instructions.
  6. Geometry. I'm bad at math in general, but you know the little triangles with the dotted lines going through them? They're just that to me, just lines and dotted lines. I simply cannot imagine the 3D images we're supposed to be measuring or calculating.

I can relate to most of these

Deleted user

Like for instance seeing a handrail that doesn't exist and reaching out and nearly bustinf it bc I thought it was real

Wait, so.. you can see things that aren't actually there?? Or am I reading this wrong???(sorry for all the questions)

@berlioz

I'm not going to answer for her, but a lot of "mind's eye scales" range from
Can you visualize it at all?
To
On a scale of 1-10, how clear is it?
To
Can you take the thing and place it in your real surroundings?
To
How does it fit in with those surroundings on a scale of 1-10?
So I would assume some hyperphantasiatics would be able to very easily visualize imaginary objects in the real world seamlessly.

@ElderGod-Winter-The-Renegade-Legionnaire book

Like for instance seeing a handrail that doesn't exist and reaching out and nearly bustinf it bc I thought it was real

Wait, so.. you can see things that aren't actually there?? Or am I reading this wrong???(sorry for all the questions)

I can visualize things that aren't there and then trick my brain to think they are. It's like a irl acid trip but I'm not under the influence of anything. It's a real pain when I can't control it.

I also have this. If I go to an area and get the lay of the land, and then I shut my eyes and completely relax, I can do what Toph does in Avatar and see it without using my eyes. I see it in my mind's eye and the closer it is, the lighter blue it is, the further away it is, it becomes a darker blue. It comes in handy when I'm playing Marco Polo or Hide and Seek at night. Because I don't need to actually use my eyes. I just use what I see. And people appear as white opaque outlines, so I guess that's cool.

@SpookyScarySnoteleks group

I just realized that I can entertain myself infinitely with this, and I don't know why I haven't been
Create new One Piece episodes in my head? Why not, I already do!
Destroy a city? Sure!
See my friends? Of course!
Go swimming? Hell yes!

I just realized that I can entertain myself infinitely with this, and I don't know why I haven't been
Create new One Piece episodes in my head? Why not, I already do!
Destroy a city? Sure!
See my friends? Of course!
Go swimming? Hell yes!

Bruh you haven't been? The possibilities are legit endless. It's so much fun.

Deleted user

Ok, so, sadly, I don't think that I have hyperphantasia, but it does sound awesome to have. Sorry about all the questions, I'm just a pretty curious person.

@Mojack group

watched the yakuza movie with the fellas in the discord tonight. honestly one of the biggest highlights was everyone freaking out when certain characters showed up and thirsting for them, and the fact that the shotguns sounded like rocket launchers. 10/10, would do movie night again.

@Relsey-TheElder

Welp
My break is almost over and I have been so unproductive
Like I planned to catch up in physics, but nope, I did nothing.
I watched all of the Cinderella Story movies, And LoTR, but like, other than that, no Productivity