forum ✨dRaMaTiC✨ Insults, Power of the Chancla, Eldritch Beings, Old Rivalries, Chicken Chaos, Large Fonts, and Cheesecake: The Saga of the Chicken Part 3: Tokyo Drift (CLOSED)
Started by @Morals-are-for-mortals language
tune

people_alt 111 followers

@im-with-stoopid pets

Anyways yeah I spent my entire weekend trying to teambuild in Gen V, and it wasn't terrible because they started to fix it slightly in these games, but finding a Poison Heal gligar is probably going to be the death of me - every 256 steps, there's a 5% chance anything even spawns, a 20% chance that spawn is a Pokémon, and then a 1% chance that Pokémon is a gligar
1/20 * 1/5 * 1/100 = a 1/10000 chance every 256 steps which doesn't take very long, but it adds up!

You know what I just realized? Imagine shiny hunting this thing full odds wild encounters
1/20 * 1/5 * 1/100 * 1/8196 (pre Gen 6 shiny odds) = 1/81960000 chance every 256 steps
But that's the least effective way to do it, thankfully - Masuda method go brrr

Deleted user

I am fully supporting your pokemon hyperfixation

Also, which gen 5 game are you playing on for this grind

Black 2! I don't remember if the Hidden Grottoes were a thing in the prequel Gen 5 games - I had a White cartridge, but it just vanished fsr, actually poofed out of thin air- I've been considering buying myself another copy for the version exclusives, but ehh

Very nice
White 2 was my first pokemon game I've ever owned, so I've got a soft spot for the sequels

I started off with Y, and I never really got into Gen V until a year or so before its big resurgence in 2020-2021-ish – I got swept up in the whole "eww a garbage pokemon - omg an ice cream Pokémon, they must've been running out of ideas" debate, but the idea of taboo Pokémon games was kinda intriguing
Turns out, no, they were perfectly fine games that actually really grew on me – I have around 300 hours on my current save file, and that's not including the fascination I had with starting over for no apparent reason. If I had to guess, I'd say around 400 total? But that probably includes time I fell asleep with the thing on its charger, so couple grains of salt there.

Honestly, Gen V is my favorite, and I'm still kinda bummed out I never got to fully experience it before Dreamworld and Ninento WiFi shut down. Also, something I noticed is whenever people say they want a modern 2D Pokemon game, they always bring up Octopath Traveler, but like, Black and White and their sequels are sitting right there and looking awesome as ever. Imagine an upscaled version of those games in the same artstyle! I guess 2010 and 2012 aren't exactly recent anymore, but it's kinda odd how many times I've seen OT thrown around in that exact context.

Why are people comparing Pokemon to octopath? Or is it just in terms of graphics?

@im-with-stoopid pets

Black 2! I don't remember if the Hidden Grottoes were a thing in the prequel Gen 5 games - I had a White cartridge, but it just vanished fsr, actually poofed out of thin air- I've been considering buying myself another copy for the version exclusives, but ehh

Very nice
White 2 was my first pokemon game I've ever owned, so I've got a soft spot for the sequels

I started off with Y, and I never really got into Gen V until a year or so before its big resurgence in 2020-2021-ish – I got swept up in the whole "eww a garbage pokemon - omg an ice cream Pokémon, they must've been running out of ideas" debate, but the idea of taboo Pokémon games was kinda intriguing
Turns out, no, they were perfectly fine games that actually really grew on me – I have around 300 hours on my current save file, and that's not including the fascination I had with starting over for no apparent reason. If I had to guess, I'd say around 400 total? But that probably includes time I fell asleep with the thing on its charger, so couple grains of salt there.

Honestly, Gen V is my favorite, and I'm still kinda bummed out I never got to fully experience it before Dreamworld and Ninento WiFi shut down. Also, something I noticed is whenever people say they want a modern 2D Pokemon game, they always bring up Octopath Traveler, but like, Black and White and their sequels are sitting right there and looking awesome as ever. Imagine an upscaled version of those games in the same artstyle! I guess 2010 and 2012 aren't exactly recent anymore, but it's kinda odd how many times I've seen OT thrown around in that exact context.

Why are people comparing Pokemon to octopath? Or is it just in terms of graphics?

Yeah, it's usually something along the lines of
"GameFreak should take visual inspiration from OT for modern 2d/pixel style games"

Nothing against OT personally, but something with the lighting makes me think more Paper Mario than Pokemon

Deleted user

Very nice

"GameFreak should take visual inspiration from OT for modern 2d/pixel style games"

Nothing against OT personally, but something with the lighting makes me think more Paper Mario than Pokemon

Yeah
Octopath is pretty though
I doubt we'll get a pixel 2D pokemon game anytime soon however

@im-with-stoopid pets

Yeah

True
I guess that's what fangames and ROMs are for, but it still kinda stings knowing that Gen 5 remakes might happen in Gen 10, and they'll likely just be full 3D – just makes the originals more unique ig

Anyways, I've gotten three Pokémon spawns and, like, five items since yesterday, and no gligar yet
I thought up the wackiest moveset I could for them, and turns out it's actually a viable strat – Fling/Acrobatics/EQ/Stone Edge + Toxic Orb
Earthquake and Stone Edge are just good moves to have (besides Stone Miss having 80 accuracy - I'd pick Rock Slide, but why trade power for accuracy when I can gamble instead)
Fling gives some one-time coverage and drops Toxic Orb so Acrobatics can do massive damage

Deleted user

Yeah

True
I guess that's what fangames and ROMs are for, but it still kinda stings knowing that Gen 5 remakes might happen in Gen 10, and they'll likely just be full 3D – just makes the originals more unique ig

Anyways, I've gotten three Pokémon spawns and, like, five items since yesterday, and no gligar yet
I thought up the wackiest moveset I could for them, and turns out it's actually a viable strat – Fling/Acrobatics/EQ/Stone Edge + Toxic Orb
Earthquake and Stone Edge are just good moves to have (besides Stone Miss having 80 accuracy - I'd pick Rock Slide, but why trade power for accuracy when I can gamble instead)
Fling gives some one-time coverage and drops Toxic Orb so Acrobatics can do massive damage

Personally I'd trade gen 5 remakes for either Legends: Style game based on Unova, or like a SV style threequel
So are you building them in gen 5 just for fun, or do you plan on like trading them forward to use in actual current competitive? Since I'd assume theres not much competitive scene in Black 2, as I don't think theres internet in those games anymore

@im-with-stoopid pets

Personally I'd trade gen 5 remakes for either Legends: Style game based on Unova, or like a SV style threequel
So are you building them in gen 5 just for fun, or do you plan on like trading them forward to use in actual current competitive? Since I'd assume theres not much competitive scene in Black 2, as I don't think theres internet in those games anymore

No, the Nintendo WiFi for the older games has been dead – fan servers exist, but some are pretty sketchy, and I'd imagine they're full of hackers (Wonder Guard Sableye/Spiritomb ahoy)

I just do team building for fun, haven't beat the e4 rematches or PWT and I haven't done black tower either, so there's still some reason to want decently competitive Pokémon – my in game team kinda sucked, it was carried by QDance Volcarona and turns out her IVs are hyper trash, and they really matter!
And I also just think teambuilding is neat, I'm a numbers and stats junkie

Deleted user

No, the Nintendo WiFi for the older games has been dead – fan servers exist, but some are pretty sketchy, and I'd imagine they're full of hackers (Wonder Guard Sableye/Spiritomb ahoy)

I just do team building for fun, haven't beat the e4 rematches or PWT and I haven't done black tower either, so there's still some reason to want decently competitive Pokémon – my in game team kinda sucked, it was carried by QDance Volcarona and turns out her IVs are hyper trash, and they really matter!

Fun
I tried to get into team building when I played the Indigo Disc
But I'm not that patient, or that interested in it

@im-with-stoopid pets

Fun

Yeah team building in the newer games is so much more convenient and so much less convenient all at the same time-

Grinding for money and bottle caps and experience candies and Tera shards stink, but with egg moves and abilities and other stuff being so easy, it's not as bad

Deleted user

Fun

Yeah team building in the newer games is so much more convenient and so much less convenient all at the same time-

Grinding for money and bottle caps and experience candies and Tera shards stink, but with egg moves and abilities and other stuff being so easy, it's not as bad

Yeah
The most I ever did was hatching like 15 orthworms
And I figured out how to fdangle base stats with berries and stuff

Deleted user

(Made a pokemon chat in the Video Games category because it feels relevant)
(And the video games category needs more love)

@Null-Gravity language

Okay.

So, I just got into an argument with my mom. We're usually pretty good about not fighting, but this time it was a bit unavoidable, in some aspects. She had asked me a question and since I'd only been awake for a few minutes, I was trying to process and form an answer. The longer it took, the more irritated she got until she yelled (actually screamed, but yelled is a nice way of putting it) at me to just go away. I do so. A few minutes later, she comes back and starts to go on about how I had gaslit her, how it was unfair and that I shouldn't spend so long sitting in silence. I ask her what I had done and it had to do with what I'd originally said, which was something along the lines of a flat out statement that something was true which she didn't like. So the argument just devolved into me trying to ask what I had done (stay up too late a few too many times which isn't that big a deal, and sleep until late in the day) and she kept repeating the same things. She continued to get louder and louder until I asked why she was still escalated and she said it was because she wasn't removing herself from the situation. So I said (in a respectful tone mind you) that she should go then. She snapped back with "Well it's my house." It went further downhill a few minutes later when I started getting stuff done so I could just leave the house, and it basically just ended with my mom telling me to fuck off. So yeah.

Deleted user

halfway into a seven hour video
i should to go to bed, but I don't trust YouTube to keep my place if I leave the tab

Pause it
Close the laptop
the tab will still be there in the morning

Deleted user

Guys!! I finally got more than 4 hours of sleep last night!

wow! 4 hours and 5 minutes! The forsaken hours

@im-with-stoopid pets

halfway into a seven hour video
i should to go to bed, but I don't trust YouTube to keep my place if I leave the tab

Pause it
Close the laptop
the tab will still be there in the morning

Laptop is old as the sun and lags like I'm using McDonald's WiFi on Venus
It didn't save my place, but good news, I stopped right on the four-hour mark

Deleted user

Found out my old 3ds was out of style (an explosion hazard), so little dude's getting a makeover (a new battery)

yikeseys

@im-with-stoopid pets

Found out my old 3ds was out of style (an explosion hazard), so little dude's getting a makeover (a new battery)

yikeseys

Crisis averted!
Also, the battery replacement pack came with a 3ds to USB charger, and I didn't even know those existed and it's SO convenient

Deleted user

yikeseys

Crisis averted!
Also, the battery replacement pack came with a 3ds to USB charger, and I didn't even know those existed and it's SO convenient

neato!
In other news, I smuggled my Game boy advance sp to play while waiting for a thing, only to find out that its out of battery