forum Debate. Debate. Debate.
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

Deleted user

I pride Jackson Barnes in his use of all forms of Human. The Kyles. The Rock Throwers. The Narutos. Very inclusive.

Deleted user

So I don't know if anyone said this before, but I'm popping in because I'm bored.
So my unpopular opinion:
Self-diagnosis for mental illnesses is okay in some circumstances.

@WriteOutofTime

I'm going to have to disagree, to an extent. In the event that someone is completely unable to get a screening/a proper diagnosis, then yes, they will have to resort to googling their symptoms and coming up with a good diagnosis themselves. However, those diagnosis can be wrong because many mental illnesses can be a symptom of something else. For example, a person may diagnose themselves with anxiety, but they could actually have OCD or even tumor. It's simply not safe to diagnose yourself with something, and what would be the point? Just so you know what it is? If you're diagnosing yourself, then you can't get help for it either (I assume) so why even bother since you run the risk of misdiagnosing and spreading misinformation? You can say, "I suspect I have anxiety" or "I feel anxious often" but claiming to have anxiety is just not safe.

On the flip side, quite a few younger, impressionable people tend to diagnose themselves without proper research or just as a trend. They make mental illness seem glamorous or like a joke. That's yet another danger of people diagnosing themselves.

Ultimately, kids should never self-diagnose. Teenagers/Adults should very rarely. Self-diagnosing should be avoided.

Deleted user

I'm going to have to disagree, to an extent. In the event that someone is completely unable to get a screening/a proper diagnosis, then yes, they will have to resort to googling their symptoms and coming up with a good diagnosis themselves. However, those diagnosis can be wrong because many mental illnesses can be a symptom of something else. For example, a person may diagnose themselves with anxiety, but they could actually have OCD or even tumor. It's simply not safe to diagnose yourself with something, and what would be the point? Just so you know what it is? If you're diagnosing yourself, then you can't get help for it either (I assume) so why even bother since you run the risk of misdiagnosing and spreading misinformation? You can say, "I suspect I have anxiety" or "I feel anxious often" but claiming to have anxiety is just not safe.

On the flip side, quite a few younger, impressionable people tend to diagnose themselves without proper research or just as a trend. They make mental illness seem glamorous or like a joke. That's yet another danger of people diagnosing themselves.

Ultimately, kids should never self-diagnose. Teenagers/Adults should very rarely. Self-diagnosing should be avoided.

"In the event that someone is completely unable to get a screening/a proper diagnosis, then yes, they will have to resort to googling their symptoms and coming up with a good diagnosis themselves."

This is basically the only circumstance I mean.

Deleted user

It's not okay a majority of the time, but it can be somewhat helpful to people who know they're mentally sick and unable to get help in their current situation. (I make no sense, I'm very out of the loop.)

@WriteOutofTime

I just don't see how it's helpful? If they can't get help, and they run the risk if misdiagnosing their symptoms, then it's not really helping them at all besides just putting a (possibly incorrect) name to their symptoms?

@Trix

Although, there is probably a bit of comfort with finding a label. But I agree, too many (especially kids) treat mental illness like a joke or a trend to hop in on.

@Starfast group

but it can be somewhat helpful to people who know they're mentally sick and unable to get help in their current situation.

But how is that helpful in the long run? You could get more help if you got a proper diagnosis. Not just in terms of getting proper treatment, but you can't apply for things like disability benefits if you're self diagnosed. I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but where I live if you want to apply for disability benefits there's a part that needs to be filled out by a doctor (and I'm sure that's probably how it is in a lot of other places) which isn't going to happen if you don't have a professional diagnosis.

@HighPockets group

People should never self-diagnose, especially because the people who do are people who have 1 bad day and decide it means they're depressed. It reflects badly on people who actually have mental illnesses and such, and makes us not be taken seriously.
Imagine if someone walked into their doctor and said "Well, my throat hurts when I swallow so I have throat cancer."

Deleted user

They ONLY situation you should self-diagnose is when you are planning to visit a highly trained professional regarding your issues and to get help. Even then you should know that you are more than likely at least 80% wrong about it.

It should go down like this:
Patient: I have been experiencing this, this, and this lately. I looked it up on the internet and got some scary results. Depression and blah blah blah being the most concerning. Can you help?
Doctor: Yes.

Deleted user

So my unpopular opinion:
Self-diagnosis for mental illnesses is okay in some circumstances.

So no. Not okay. I wouldn't use it as an excuse for poor behavior either.

Deleted user

𝙷𝚎𝚛𝚎'𝚜 𝚊𝚗 𝚞𝚗𝚙𝚘𝚙𝚞𝚕𝚊𝚛 𝚘𝚙𝚒𝚗𝚒𝚘𝚗: 𝚂𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚐𝚜 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚞𝚌𝚔. 𝙸'𝚖 𝚊 𝚍𝚘𝚐 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚛, 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝙸'𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜 𝚐𝚘𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚗 𝚒𝚗 𝚍𝚎𝚋𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚜 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚙𝚎𝚘𝚙𝚕𝚎 𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚊𝚌𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚐𝚜 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚟𝚒𝚘𝚕𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚊 𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎. 𝚆𝚎𝚕𝚕, 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝, 𝚖𝚢 𝚖𝚘𝚖 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝟷𝟻 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚘𝚕𝚍 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚕𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚋𝚛𝚊𝚛𝚢 {𝚠𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚊 𝚏𝚎𝚠 𝚋𝚕𝚘𝚌𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚠𝚊𝚢} 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚖𝚢 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚋𝚢 𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚐𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚞𝚗𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚑𝚎𝚍 𝚍𝚘𝚐. 𝙸𝚏 𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚛𝚞𝚗 𝚚𝚞𝚒𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚢 𝚎𝚗𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑, 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚐 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚎𝚍, 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚎𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚠𝚊𝚕𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚘𝚠𝚗𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚝𝚘𝚘 𝚜𝚝𝚞𝚙𝚒𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚙𝚞𝚝 𝚊 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚑 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚖. {𝙿𝚘𝚕𝚒𝚌𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚏𝚒𝚎𝚍.}