forum Debate. Debate. Debate.
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

Deleted user

Immortality would be facinating, I would think. Most people say that it would be 'boring' (most vampire characters are so conflicted about it. ugh) But I think it would be the exact opposite. The world is constantly changing, just look how much society has changed just within the past 30 years. To see thew world change and to be a living piece of history is a dream.

I don't yearn for the afterlife as most do, so immortality I would take with open arms.

Deleted user

Mmmkay I've seen some responses that have me curious:

What is 'evil'?

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

Immortality would be facinating, I would think. Most people say that it would be 'boring' (most vampire characters are so conflicted about it. ugh) But I think it would be the exact opposite. The world is constantly changing, just look how much society has changed just within the past 30 years. To see thew world change and to be a living piece of history is a dream.

I don't yearn for the afterlife as most do, so immortality I would take with open arms.

Well it would really suck having everyone you love die on you. An it would be kind of awesome. But life does kind of suck. (Though I still believe in hope and the value of life.) There is so much wrong in the world it can be exhausting.

Deleted user

Everyone I love can literally die on me now. I can/could outlive all of them. What is the difference?
It's not like we do not go through life and create new relationships therefore finding new people to love.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

True. But it is inevitable that (if you were immortal) everyone you love would die before you and all relationships would be like nothing as they disappeared in the winds of time. I would find that hard to bear.

@Trix

Immortality could definitely be fun and intriguing for… say, 30 years. But everything has to come to an end - we cherish moments in life because they are limited. Life would get boring, since every experience and interaction could be repeated on an endless loop. Falling in love, creating friendships, laughter, pain. I imagine after awhile, these interactions would blur past.

Everyone I love can literally die on me now. I can/could outlive all of them. What is the difference?

Yes, you could outlive your friends, family. But it would hurt. You would have to live with that pain for the rest of your immortal life. And you would go through that pain over and over. Every time you meet someone, form bonds, you realize those will have to break. You almost have a timer ticking down for that person.
And on a slightly different note, there is a uniqueness in dying. In knowing that you will never know the future, but merely that you have impacted it. Do you crave immortality for your curiosity? Or because you fear death?

Deleted user

Immortality could definitely be fun and intriguing for… say, 30 years. But everything has to come to an end - we cherish moments in life because they are limited. Life would get boring, since every experience and interaction could be repeated on an endless loop. Falling in love, creating friendships, laughter, pain. I imagine after awhile, these interactions would blur past.

But the thing is…I don't think this way. I don't cherish things because they are finite. How long something exists doesn't determine it's worth. (By that logic plastic would be insanely valuable) I cherish things because they are. Simply because they have been in my life. I still cherish the stuffed animal I had as a child even though it is gone.

You're describing life as it is right now though? It is an endless cycle of work, love, sleep, eat, pray, friends, pain, etc. So what's the difference? Things do not/should not loose impact because it becomes routine. I would still be able to love someone as intensely as I do now, in a hundred, two hundred years. Because not everyone is the same, not everything is the same. The world around will change forever and be new, so will the people. Looking at that ans seeing it as boring is not a problem of immortality, it is a problem of the immortal willingly giving up. Whining about how awful it is to experience all different cultures and times, just like all those 'emo vampire boys'.

Yes, you could outlive your friends, family. But it would hurt. You would have to live with that pain for the rest of your immortal life. And you would go through that pain over and over. Every time you meet someone, form bonds, you realize those will have to break. You almost have a timer ticking down for that person.

Again. It's already like that. I already miss my grandfather and he's been gone 15 years. This is nothing new. What is 1015 years compared to that? Pain doesn't increase as time goes on. Proven to be the exact opposite as people heal and come to terms with death of loved ones/etc. People that think in the way that you are describing are willingly wallowing in self pity because they didn't die, because they get to experience an insane amount of new things and such instead of living for those they have lost. Or just moving forward in their own life. They are stuck on the moment they lost death, and that is just insane.

And on a slightly different note, there is a uniqueness in dying. In knowing that you will never know the future, but merely that you have impacted it. Do you crave immortality for your curiosity? Or because you fear death?

Lol. I already said that I don't fear death. I'm curious and want to experience this world to its full potential.

@The-N-U-T-Cracker

But what happens when all the other humans die out, when the world faces its end, and you're the only one there? Just because you can't die doesn't mean you wouldn't feel this forever intensifying pain, hunger, loneliness as everything crumbles around you and you're left to float through space with no feeling or purpose for the rest of eternity

@Trix

I don't think this way. I don't cherish things because they are finite. How long something exists doesn't determine it's worth. (By that logic plastic would be insanely valuable) I cherish things because they are. Simply because they have been in my life. I still cherish the stuffed animal I had as a child even though it is gone.

I agree with you that worth cannot be purely determined by the interval of time. However, we are comparing a human life span and immortality. I’m not saying that you can’t appreciate and value moments as an immortal, rather, that those moments are less memorable.
Let’s compare the moments/experiences in life to a slice of chocolate cake. (Why? Because I’m really craving some chocolate cake.)
A person given several slices will appreciate each one thoroughly, when they’re done, they’re done.
A person given infinite slices will eventually bore of the cake, and grow sick of it. That’s not saying that they can’t enjoy each slice, but that the slices aren’t viewed as preciously because of the sheer amount.
Point being, I still don’t understand how you wouldn’t tire of immortality.

Pain doesn't increase as time goes on. Proven to be the exact opposite as people heal and come to terms with death of loved ones/etc. People that think in the way that you are describing are willingly wallowing in self pity because they didn't die, because they get to experience an insane amount of new things and such instead of living for those they have lost. Or just moving forward in their own life. They are stuck on the moment they lost death, and that is just insane.

Okay, true. Time can heal pain. But you would really put yourself through continuous death around you, for the sake of seeing the future? Yeah, it would be interesting to see how society and mannerisms change. Yet, we're humans. We live, we die - I've just always accepted that.

Deleted user

But what happens when all the other humans die out, when the world faces its end, and you're the only one there? Just because you can't die doesn't mean you wouldn't feel this forever intensifying pain, hunger, loneliness as everything crumbles around you and you're left to float through space with no feeling or purpose for the rest of eternity

Being alone doesnt bother me. Who's to say that humans will die out anyway? Who's to say that humanity won't actually flourish? You all think so negatively about the distant future so worried about what could be instead of what is. Living is living no matter the bullshit. Life doesn't have to have purpose to be life.

Floating through space would be incredible. To see first hand all the nebulae, black holes, stars, creation, destruction…the very beginning and end of time itself? Talk about a journey.

It's apparent that you are afraid of pain.

Pain let's you know that you are alive.

Deleted user

I agree with you that worth cannot be purely determined by the interval of time. However, we are comparing a human life span and immortality. I’m not saying that you can’t appreciate and value moments as an immortal, rather, that those moments are less memorable.
Let’s compare the moments/experiences in life to a slice of chocolate cake. (Why? Because I’m really craving some chocolate cake.)
A person given several slices will appreciate each one thoroughly, when they’re done, they’re done.
A person given infinite slices will eventually bore of the cake, and grow sick of it. That’s not saying that they can’t enjoy each slice, but that the slices aren’t viewed as preciously because of the sheer amount.
Point being, I still don’t understand how you wouldn’t tire of immortality.

I see your point. I do, but you are stuck on the fact that every piece of cake is the same as the one before. How many days of your life, years of your life have been the same as the one before? None. Because live progresses, with or without your input. The world changes. People change. The very earth we stand on changes each and every second. So no, I wouldn't get bored because each day would be different, each day a slice of chocolate cake with a different topping, or filling, or style of dough.

shrugs

The possibilities are endless.

Okay, true. Time can heal pain. But you would really put yourself through continuous death around you, for the sake of seeing the future? Yeah, it would be interesting to see how society and mannerisms change. Yet, we're humans. We live, we die - I've just always accepted that.

Continuous death is already there. Thousands of people die each day. But that doesn't mean that it should hold us back. Living is going forward. Not going/looking behind.

Deleted user

I think you are one of few then if you have no fear of pain.

Im much like Eowyn in that regard.

@The-N-U-T-Cracker

Even if humanity flourishes, the sun will one day explode. That's a scientific fact. It'll most likely be millions upon billions of years from now, but stars kinda do this thing where they explode over time.

It would be cool for a while, but there would be a point where you've seen it all, there's nothing more to learn or experience, and over time, as you float around watching everything fall apart, the neverending darkness will get to you and your only remains of sanity will crumble faster than the universe itself.
And what happens when you experience, first-hand, the strength of a black hole? There would be no escape, you'd just be stretched thinner and thinner, pain more intense than anyone could ever imagine, for all of eternity. Nothing to learn, nothing to see, nothing making it even remotely worthwhile.

Of course, everyone's afraid of pain, to an extent. I'm no exception, and I doubt you are as well.

It takes a balance of pain and joy to make you feel alive. If you constantly feel happy, you'll slowly become numb to it, and it will take some sadness to help you find happiness again. If you're constantly in pain, you eventually won't be able to feel it anymore, you won't feel alive anymore, and it takes joy to make it hurt again.
Am I making any sense?

Deleted user

Yes.. so no debates at the moment there's only one thing I can think of
Dog people or cat people?

Why can't we have both?

Deleted user

Even if humanity flourishes, the sun will one day explode. That's a scientific fact. It'll most likely be millions upon billions of years from now, but stars kinda do this thing where they explode over time.

It would be cool for a while, but there would be a point where you've seen it all, there's nothing more to learn or experience, and over time, as you float around watching everything fall apart, the neverending darkness will get to you and your only remains of sanity will crumble faster than the universe itself.
And what happens when you experience, first-hand, the strength of a black hole? There would be no escape, you'd just be stretched thinner and thinner, pain more intense than anyone could ever imagine, for all of eternity. Nothing to learn, nothing to see, nothing making it even remotely worthwhile.

Of course, everyone's afraid of pain, to an extent. I'm no exception, and I doubt you are as well.

It takes a balance of pain and joy to make you feel alive. If you constantly feel happy, you'll slowly become numb to it, and it will take some sadness to help you find happiness again. If you're constantly in pain, you eventually won't be able to feel it anymore, you won't feel alive anymore, and it takes joy to make it hurt again.
Am I making any sense?

Well no, because you don't know any of this will happen, or what any of this feels like, nor can you think for me or tell me how I will feel in the experience of immortality.

Coming at any experience with only the negative is not looking at the entire picture. The Universe is constantly expanding, changing, creating with millions upon trillions of things that we do not know or understand. To say that someone would get bored of all that is extremely closed minded. Nothing ever 'falls apart into never ending darkness and despair blah blah blah, sanity crumbles, blah blah' because energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed. Who's to say that an immortal will not evolve into something/someone that can withstand all of everything?

Also– no one knows what is inside a black hole so to think that it's just never ending pain and horribleness is just…..meh. Come on. I'll give you the fact that it could be, but that's a ridiculously slim fact and I would definitely read up on a ton of amazing and plausible scientific theories if you have questions.

Again I idly wonder why you all linger on the bad and also so willing to give up on Life.

@GameMaster group

I recently read a post detailing Percy Jackson’s life as if he had said yes to becoming a god. It was downright depressing since he basically loses the will to live very quickly. He doesn’t care about everything or anyone he used to. They all die off and he’s left alone.

Deleted user

The grim realism is that we will never become immortal because the rich are selfish and it will never be made available to us plebs.

A goddess can only dream of going back home.