forum The Roodeness Shenanigans
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 110 followers

@Pickles group

As a Shakespeare fan, people going "we're like Romeo and Juliet :)" pisses me off. Romeo and Juliet were two kids who are together for three days with a total of six deaths, including their own. Shakespeare didn't write them as "omg couple goals!!", their story is a tragedy, not a romance.

It's not going "wow look they're so in love" it's going "wow look at these dumb fucks they're so stupid lmao" and the fact that that's not how English teacher teach it makes me angry

@Pickles group

Psa because apparently some people need to hear this: if you're not comfortable with using someone's pronouns, a. keep it to yourself b. don't interact with them and/or c. don't use pronouns for them at all. It's not hard, fuck off you little bitch.

@HighPockets group

As a Shakespeare fan, people going "we're like Romeo and Juliet :)" pisses me off. Romeo and Juliet were two kids who are together for three days with a total of six deaths, including their own. Shakespeare didn't write them as "omg couple goals!!", their story is a tragedy, not a romance.

It's not going "wow look they're so in love" it's going "wow look at these dumb fucks they're so stupid lmao" and the fact that that's not how English teacher teach it makes me angry

If Shakespeare meant for it to be a cutesy "#goals" romance, he'd have written it as a comedy. Of course you're supposed to feel sympathy/empathy (always get them confused) for Romeo and Juliet, but the point of the story isn't that they're sooooo in looooove, it's that they're two kids who think that the only way they can be happy is to fucking kill themselves because of a stupid feud between their families.

@HighPockets group

Isn't it like a comical tragedy? I forgot what those are called, and I don't read Shakespeare do idk.

It's a tragedy, but some people also read it as a satire. It has some comical moments though, namely via Mercutio

@Pickles group

If Shakespeare meant for it to be a cutesy "#goals" romance, he'd have written it as a comedy. Of course you're supposed to feel sympathy/empathy (always get them confused) for Romeo and Juliet, but the point of the story isn't that they're sooooo in looooove, it's that they're two kids who think that the only way they can be happy is to fucking kill themselves because of a stupid feud between their families.

Were we? I didn't. Oops

@HighPockets group

People are out here like "I want a relationship like Romeo and Juliet :(" and I'm over here like "God I want a relationship like Beatrice and Benedick-"

Deleted user

Psa because apparently some people need to hear this: if you're not comfortable with using someone's pronouns, a. keep it to yourself b. don't interact with them and/or c. don't use pronouns for them at all. It's not hard, fuck off you little bitch.

callout post for my parents

Deleted user

People are out here like "I want a relationship like Romeo and Juliet :(" and I'm over here like "God I want a relationship like Beatrice and Benedick-"

I want a relationship like Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, but that's a whole different book.

Deleted user

The only valid relationship goals are Gomez and Morticia

You make a good point, but not everyone can be trans and bisexual like they are (kidding, this is just personal headcanons. If you read them as cishet I fully support you I just think they have very queer energies.)

Deleted user

Haven't read P&P yet, but I want to. Others for me are Dimitri and Anastasia, or Evie O'Neill and Sam Lloyd.

Oh read pride and prejudice as soon as you can it's so s a l t y.

@HighPockets group

Haven't read P&P yet, but I want to. Others for me are Dimitri and Anastasia, or Evie O'Neill and Sam Lloyd.

I've been meaning to, but I haven't been able to get as into my beloved classics lately :( also I don't have a copy yet

Deleted user

I've been meaning to, but I haven't been able to get as into my beloved classics lately :( also I don't have a copy yet

I think you could find a pdf online if you want to read it for free? Otherwise, you can usually get a copy of one of the classics for 5-8 dollars from Barnes and Noble. Good luck in your reading endeavors!

Deleted user

I have Sense and Sensibility though! Also haven't read it yet.

Oof I still haven't read that one yet but I've head it's great.

@HighPockets group

I think you could find a pdf online if you want to read it for free? Otherwise, you can usually get a copy of one of the classics for 5-8 dollars from Barnes and Noble. Good luck in your reading endeavors!

Thank you! I'm trying not to buy any more books until I see what I get for Christmas, but I'll probably pick of some of the Barnes and Noble classics the next time they're on sale. I've already got a handful of them.

@berlioz

You make a good point, but not everyone can be trans and bisexual like they are (kidding, this is just personal headcanons. If you read them as cishet I fully support you I just think they have very queer energies.)

I don't think they're queer (but still support head cannons, they can be fun), I just think people read them as queer-coded because they're actually loving which is something modern day cishet relationships are at least percieved to be lacking. Queer people tend to value love and each other more because we have to go through a lot of shit just to be together and feel okay being together.

Deleted user

I don't think they're queer (but still support head cannons, they can be fun), I just think people read them as queer-coded because they're actually loving which is something modern day cishet relationships are at least percieved to be lacking. Queer people tend to value love and each other more because we have to go through a lot of shit just to be together and feel okay being together.

You do make a good point there.

@Pickles group

Hallmark couples who get married after knowing each other for three months have left the chat

@berlioz

OOO I heard Hallmark is gunna depict a same-sex wedding in one of their Christmas movies this year for the first time. Idk if they're the main characters or it's just a passing scene.