forum Don't Be Suspicious
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 113 followers

Deleted user

Let's be honest, what Disney movie is 100% politically correct hmm?

Mulan, the animated movie, brought forth a more lighthearted view of a turbulent time in Chinese history which inspired a boost in academic interest in outside and Asian cultures, brought forth one of the very first Disney 'princesses' that was a poc, shined light on the importance of daughter/father relationships, and told an entire generation of young girls that hey can be just as tough as boys.

I mean……

@Mojack group

I’ve never watched Mulan before - but I think I’m gonna watch it either tonight or sometime this week now

((Or maybe I have watched it but it’s been a while))

@HighPockets group

On the one hand, it is a cool idea to do the live-action as a 'what could have been' for an old classic but like…Mulan is probably one of the most well-loved Disney movies so….idk

Deleted user

Okay so we can all agree we love Mulan, but what about this controversy around the Little Mermaid?

Thoughts?

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

I haven’t decided how I feel about it. But the only reason she’s black is for diversity points. If it was accurate she’d be white as it was a Danish tale. Some people are annoyed by all the ‘diversity’ and ‘equality’ while “blackwashing” a Disney move.

@Periwinkle_

The thing about that though is that she’s a mermaid. She lives in water. Not in Europe. In water (maybe near Europe but still.) on top of that, black people lived in Europe back then too. What, do people think we were invented in the 1800s?

Also, Disney has had a problem with diversity in the past (and kinda sorta now but they’re making progress.) So making characters POC is very different from making them white, for the simple fact that white is already VERY common in Disney.

Deleted user

I kinda have to agree with Dom on this one. Not to mention that they are taking away the one red haired Princess….so what about ginger representation? Gotta be fair to everyone right?

I think it would be more beneficial to Disney to have created an entirely new and original character if they wanted it to really mean something special.

Still waiting on my Latina Princess btw

Deleted user

The thing about that though is that she’s a mermaid. She lives in water. Not in Europe. In water.

Scientifically, if she lived at the bottom of the ocean where Atlantica is….then she would be pale as fuck because no light gets down there.
She'd also be blind and somewhat terrifying but that's besides the point. XD

The thing about that though is that she’s a mermaid. She lives in water. Not in Europe. In water.

Scientifically, if she lived at the bottom of the ocean where Atlantica is….then she would be pale as fuck because no light gets down there.
She'd also be blind and somewhat terrifying but that's besides the point. XD

Shivers in happiness I love mermaids.

I think it would be more beneficial to Disney to have created an entirely new and original character if they wanted it to really mean something special.

Still waiting on my Latina Princess btw

Exactly!

I heard a rumor that might be happening.

Deleted user

Dora's coming to theaters in August.

((I'm absolutely kidding, I'm well aware that she's nothing close to what you meant let alone Disney))

SCREAMS

with love because I know you were joking

Deleted user

I heard a rumor that might be happening.

I remember you telling me that and me freaking out because YAS

The thing about that though is that she’s a mermaid. She lives in water. Not in Europe. In water (maybe near Europe but still.) on top of that, black people lived in Europe back then too. What, do people think we were invented in the 1800s?

Good times the 1800s. Sobs for Enjolras

Also, Disney has had a problem with diversity in the past (and kinda sorta now but they’re making progress.) So making characters POC is very different from making them white, for the simple fact that white is already VERY common in Disney.

But that’s not how it works. You can have some do overs like in Aladdin to fix such things. But you can’t just use a magic wand to turn people that were canonically white etc. into disabled black lesbians.
It’s rather like the feminists that want all men to be under all women. It’s not about a battle of who gets to be the best. It’s about actual equality.

@Periwinkle_

That’s the thing, actual equality. It’s not fair to say that putting a black character where a white one used to be is the same thing as if the roles were switched, because there already is plenty of representation for white people.

Aladdin was also originally Chinese, so it’s not like Disney hasn’t switched before.

But that is not equality. Here is my thing I use to tell if something is sexist, racist, etc. it doesn’t always work, but as a matter of thumb it’s pretty good. If it would be taken as such if the roles were reversed, it probably is. So if making a canonically black character white is bad, so is making a canonically white person black. The only way I see out of that is the ‘black people can’t be racist’ card idea.

Also it was a Persian story that was set in China, presumably because it was a land far away. But yeah, it was in the Arabian Nights which are Persian stories and was represented as Indian in the original Disney movie.

Deleted user

wait wait wait…. Ariel is a disabled black lesbian now….? There will be no dashing black haired Prince Eric?

FIRST LI SHANG AND NOW ERIC???

Imma burn down Disney. GAY BOYS NEED SEXY PRINCES TOO
…or were you just being facetious?

Deleted user

Also it was a Persian story that was set in China, presumably because it was a land far away. But yeah, it was in the Arabian Nights which are Persian stories and was represented as Indian in the original Disney movie.

It's never specifically stated where Agrabah is, but it's safe to say Middle Eastern, for the animation anyway. Idk about Indian.

It's never specifically stated where Agrabah is, but it's safe to say Middle Eastern, for the animation anyway. Idk about Indian.

If I recall correctly my mom said the architecture was Indian.

@HighPockets group

I think it'd be cool if they moved Ariel's story to being off the coast of Africa, or maybe in Jamaica, I know I've heard stories about Jamaican mermaids and that'd be cool!