Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

@Pickles group

Not to be a book ho but you should read The Henna Wars

What is?

I'm bad at describing books so

When Nishat comes out to her parents, they say she can be anyone she wants—as long as she isn’t herself. Because Muslim girls aren’t lesbians. Nishat doesn’t want to hide who she is, but she also doesn’t want to lose her relationship with her family. And her life only gets harder once a childhood friend walks back into her life.
Flávia is beautiful and charismatic and Nishat falls for her instantly. But when a school competition invites students to create their own businesses, both Flávia and Nishat choose to do henna, even though Flávia is appropriating Nishat’s culture. Amidst sabotage and school stress, their lives get more tangled—but Nishat can’t quite get rid of her crush on Flávia, and realizes there might be more to her than she realized.

Chef's kiss. I really liked it

@HighPockets group

I used to sort of know a lady who did Henna, she did it for library events and her kids were also on DI teams, but for a different region

@actual-fandom-trash

I know a ton of people who do henna but that's cuz it's part of our culture so that's expected. I think I could find pictures of what my friend's mom did for me a while ago or what someone else did for a bride a few months ago if people were interested, I mean

@HighPockets group

I'm not too familiar with henna but I'd gotten the Deathly Hallows done on my hand (the patience is a big issue for me, especially since I was at the library event and wanted to move my hands lol) and it fades after a few days. More if you wash your hands a ton.

@actual-fandom-trash

it gets darker after a while. I pretty much scrubbed it off as soon as I could which is why that one was so orange but it does get darker if you leave it on (and sometimes it just gets darker after a day even if you scrub it off soon)
but it fades and comes off eventually lol
thinking about how my friend didn't want to have henna on her hand at school during Ramadan cuz people would make fun of it

@berlioz

That's depresso, but relatable. I get made fun of and get rude comments at school cuz of religious stuff too. 'Tis a bummer.

@Pickles group

Sometimes I forget how overall polite the kids at my school are. Like. They don't really make fun of you for religious stuff and they don't mock the special ed kids. Some of the band kids can be pretty nasty if they don't like you though. Usually just because you're a creepy dickwad, not really because of anything else

@berlioz

In my school, a racist nazi who sees the special ed room as their personal comedy theater is the average Joe. I don't know what the normal number of "heil hitlers" per class is in other schools, but I think mine averages about 1-4 silent salutes and 1-2 salutes with heil hitler in them. It's a hick town.

@HighPockets group

Luckily my town doesn't suck much, there's some stereotypical Gamer Bros and Football Bros who kinda suck but not a ton of super open bigotry, except for some kids who did sharpie blackface at a basketball game :/ and there's always that weird WW2 nerd that you kinda feel might be a nazi but you can't tell for sure.

@actual-fandom-trash

it wasn't super bad but it's weird when you know people will judge you. now it's a lot more popular so it's kinda chill but it's also "where were you 4 years ago when everyone would judge??" but there's always compliments too which was nice >

@Mojack group

It’s really only the elementary school kids in grade 6-8 you see doing the “communism!” stuff (as in they’re obsessed with communism for some reason. I would know because…I had that age where I was weirdly obsessed with communism). Not a lot of Bad Kids though. There are WW2 nerds at my schools, but they’re not bad people from what I can see. Most of the kids were pretty nice and chill iirc..with a certain exception of one or two kids but those people were bad influences overall to some people.

@actual-fandom-trash

I think the most racism I've personally experienced at school was when I came back from Pakistan and this kid asked if my house got bombed when I was there. most of the rest comes from online and there's probably people who say things behind other's backs but it's not that bad. but our middle school was small so things were taken a little more seriously and I kinda ignored everything that's happened in high school so far

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

My fam (kids) thinks Communism and Nazis are a hilarious in a crackhead+dark humor way. We're an odd family.
We also have the legend of the great Babushka that is the most powerful person in all of Russia who once gruesomely assassinated Hitler before her conversion to Christianity.

We're an odd family.

@Pickles group

Wait how could I forget about the kid that watches you know what in band class, is awful to everyone, and has a YouTube channel where he goes on anti-feminest and anti-LGBT rants. And that other kid that girls are obsessed with even though he's awful, wishes he was black so he could say the n word, and says it anyway
Now that I think about it, there are a lot of shitty people in band. I'm assuming elsewhere too but I wouldn't know

@berlioz

The worst "discrimination"(?) I've gotten was the typical anti-semitic stuff, being called Jewish slurs and people praising the holocaust in front of me on purpose, and I've also gotten a big rant from my friend which included death wishes for "everyone like me" and basically told me I was the scum of the earth. It was a funny rant until he got to the "I wish you people would just die" part.

@Pickles group

The worst "discrimination"(?) I've gotten was the typical anti-semitic stuff, being called Jewish slurs and people praising the holocaust in front of me on purpose, and I've also gotten a big rant from my friend which included death wishes for "everyone like me" and basically told me I was the scum of the earth. It was a funny rant until he got to the "I wish you people would just die" part.

Sounds like a bad person friend