Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

@Brooklyn_Is_Here

WE'RE NOT TELLING YOU TO FEEL BAD AS A WHITE AMERICAN

Black Lives Matter DOES NOT mean Black Vs. White
IT MEANS
Everyone VS. Racism and Police Brutality.

What WE are asking you is to educate yourself and acknowledge the problems that are happening in our society today.

@Pickles group

My more liberal friends want to make me feel bad for being patriotic, or just BEING American

Also
What

it might not be common here on notebook since everyone's chill but this is actually pretty plausible imo
hate using reddit as an example again but saying good things about america in some communities there is treated about the same as saying good things about trump, you can have your opinion but everyone's gonna think you're a racist dog

Exactly. I only posted a Ron Swanson meme and they said it was in "bad taste"

But not everything that happened before that date was a mistake? I mean yeah, a lot of bad things happened, but they all lead to where we are today, which is also a racist society so you're also correct.

OMG it's not like I mean it literally. It's just a quote from the character related to the holiday. I like Parks and Rec and they know that. They make me feel like if I don't hate myself for being a white American, I'm a bad person (I do hate myself, just not for that).

Still in poor taste, and if you're really going to make it, you have to make it clear that you don't agree.

@HighPockets group

IT MEANS

What WE are asking you is to educate yourself and acknowledge the problems that are happening in our society today.

This^
No one's telling you to feel guilty, we're telling you to educate yourself before spouting off :/

Deleted user

IT MEANS

This^
No one's telling you to feel guilty, we're telling you to educate yourself before spouting off :/

Maybe nobody here is, but my real life friends say stuff like "I hate white people" and "I hate Americans" all the time when they ARE white and American.

@jupiter-sun-of-sweater-town group

I agree with Brooklyn that BLM isn't black vs white, but all of this really does make me feel bad as a white american.
or maybe that's just my habit of feeling guilty for stuff that isn't my fault
i really do need to go now

@Pickles group

IT MEANS

This^

Maybe nobody here is, but my real life friends say stuff like "I hate white people" and "I hate Americans" all the time when they ARE white and American.

They mean "I hate the loud, annoying, racist, bigoted white people" and "I hate the loud, annoying, racist, bigoted, annoying Americans who are everywhere."
Stop getting offended by what you think people mean without even looking into what they're talking about.

Deleted user

We're not asking you to feel bad about what your ancestors did, we're asking you to help fix their mistake.

My ancestors are Italian.

@Brooklyn_Is_Here

Dude, I use to be a really patriotic person,
but then I look around myself
America is suppose to be the land of the free right?
Well isn't it ironic how not all of us are free?

@Pickles group

We're not asking you to feel bad about what your ancestors did, we're asking you to help fix their mistake.

Lmao all the white Americans came from other places. Just because you're distantly related to someone in Italy doesn't give you a free pass to turn a blind eye to your blatant privilege and the terrible things going on in your own country.

Deleted user

It feels free though, aside from quarantine which everyone is doing. I don't think black people should ever get murdered, and I know it happens when it really shouldn't, like Breonna Taylor. But we have free speech, and not really any censorship. I imagine living in North Korea and I'm thankful to be here.

@Pickles group

It feels free though, aside from quarantine which everyone is doing. I don't think black people should ever get murdered, and I know it happens when it really shouldn't, like Breonna Taylor. But we have free speech, and not really any censorship. I imagine living in North Korea and I'm thankful to be here.

You just described exactly how not free we are.

Deleted user

Lmao all the white Americans came from other places. Just because you're distantly related to someone in Italy doesn't give you a free pass to turn a blind eye to your blatant privilege and the terrible things going on in your own country.

My grandparents were full-blooded Italian, it's not distant. My ancestors didn't own slaves because they weren't even American.

Deleted user

But we have freedom of speech and no censorship. Yes it's not a perfect country but we're so much freer than a lot of places.

@Pickles group

My grandparents were full-blooded Italian, it's not distant. My ancestors didn't own slaves because they weren't even American.

That doesn't fucking mean your special. That doesn't mean you get to prance around not doing anything about racism. That doesn't mean you aren't American. That just means you're white and you probably won't get shot in the streets yourself.

@Brooklyn_Is_Here

OH MY LORD,
IF YOUR ANCESTORS WERE WHITE, THEY WERE WHITE
DID YOU KNOW THAT WHITE PEOPLE INSLAVED, KILLED, AND

Deleted user

OH MY LORD,

My ancestors WERE NOT IN AMERICA. Of course I know that. Slave owners did that. Descendants of the British. Not Italians who came to America in the 1900s when slavery was over.

@Pickles group

But we have freedom of speech and no censorship. Yes it's not a perfect country but we're so much freer than a lot of places.

I can't believe I have to sit here and try to explain to you that people being killed because of the color of their skin is not okay. You can't excuse it by saying "at least we have freedom of speech". Having less restrictions than some countries doesn't make it great.

@Brooklyn_Is_Here

Do you know what its like
To worry about your friends because they might get shot
To be afraid of the police every time they drive by
To have to teach little kids police etiquette so that they can make it back home
To actually wish you were White in order to fit in
To wish you were white to validate yourself.

@Pickles group

OH MY LORD,

My ancestors WERE NOT IN AMERICA. Of course I know that. Slave owners did that. Descendants of the British. Not Italians who came to America in the 1900s when slavery was over.

Countries other than Great Britian existed at the time too. Italy had slaves.

Deleted user

I can't believe I have to sit here and try to explain to you that people being killed because of the color of their skin is not okay. You can't excuse it by saying "at least we have freedom of speech". Having less restrictions than some countries doesn't make it great.

I didn't ever say it was okay. I said it shouldn't happen. But people get killed in lots of countries and they aren't even allowed to report or protest about it.

@Fraust

You do realize that America wasn't the only country with slaves, right? Almost every "white country" had slaves

@HighPockets group

OH MY LORD,

Countries other than Great Britian existed at the time too. Italy had slaves.

Also slavery wasn't the only form of racism. I listed others above, not to mention things like the Tulsa massacre the fact that racial discrimination was literally legal until the 1960s.

@Pickles group

I didn't ever say it was okay. I said it shouldn't happen. But people get killed in lots of countries and they aren't even allowed to report or protest about it.

Yeah and you know how our government is trying to get people to stop? By shooting people and using weapons that are illegal in actual wars. On children. Go read what Jyn said. Again. Until that sinks in.