forum Debate. Debate. Debate.
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

@Mojack group

Cannibalism is kind of an interesting topic for me since— well I haven’t personally dealt with it, I’ve already done a fair bit of research on it previously (sometimes for writing, other times I’m just bored) and I’ve debated about it before as well

Cannibalism should be noted since it’s practiced in non-human species, not always due to food shortages but can happen just naturally on its own. Up to 90% of organisms in an aquatic ecosystem will practice cannibalism at least one point in their life, fun fact. Sexual cannibalism is also a thing - notable in insects and arachnids, like the black widow spider eating her mate. Cannibalism is also not limited to carnivores believe it or not - herbivores and detritivores will also practice it.
Now while food shortages may not always = cannibalism, the rates of cannibalism increase in nutritionally poor areas. Meaning that a species or individual turns to cannibalism as an additional food source.
Cannibalism regulates the population as well as increasing the availability of food, shelter, etc, but the benefits really only apply to the individual. The survival rate overall will decrease for the entire species. There’s also the chance of a pathogen being transferred to the consumer - something I’ll elaborate on later.

Onto human cannibalism; this is a topic both well documented in ancient and modern times. It’s been practiced by humans often in famine and starvation,

As well as mental illness sufferers engaging in it for sexual pleasure or other, e.g. Jeffery Dahmer
Individuals in the Soviet Union also resorted to it, as well as other places in famine.

Human cannibalism occurs for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it’s just the cultural norm. Ritual cannibalism of the recently deceased (often endocannibalism) can just be a grieving stage, as weird as it is to us. It would be the norm for those people. You may also have exocannibalism, the consumption of someone outside of the community (a victory against a rival community or so). Some cannibals also believe that eating the deceased will bless them with the qualities of their victim.
Kuru is a sickness that can be transmitted with cannibalism. It is extremely fatal, with a long incubation period of 10-50 years, meaning once it’s in a system, it will linger for a while. The Fore people are a prime example of the Kuru disease effects, since they stopped consuming human meat in the 1960s deaths continued after that due to the incubation period.

Now, in many societies around the world, there’s a big taboo on cannibalism - declaring that it is wrong, should not be done, etc. Perhaps the biggest question about human cannibalism is this;

Is cannibalism wrong? Why? Should it be allowed in society?

bonus question; would you try human meat if given the chance

@Relsey

I find it interesting that we're the only species that has war but we're also one of the only species that don't practice cannibalism.

@Relsey

Also emus.

I find it hilarious that Australia fought a war with Emus

Never forget that the emus won.

Even more of a reason to be amused

Deleted user

dude why do you have to eat people
there's so many other things to eat
damn
chill out

@Relsey

I feel like Cannibalism is bad if only because we as human's would be really unhealthy to eat. We're not exactly pact full of nutrition.

Deleted user

do y'all have a moral reason to eat people when there's tons of other fucking things to eat?

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

Not a good enough argument. We aren't morally obligated to eat any specific thing as far as I know. We all share some moral restrictions, me more than same, others more than me. But the point is there is no moral obligated to eat anything except perhaps that we eat something. (^^)