forum Debate. Debate. Debate.
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

@Moxie group

Sorry about that one! I'm pretty new to this site. I went to the last page and saw that the cats and dogs question was actually months old

It’s fine!

@HighPockets group

I think there should be some limitations (like not hiking at an active volcano or something where activities being done there could trigger reactions) but as long as people know what they're getting into it should be fine.

@HighPockets group

Someone debate the electoral college with me. I am informed and angry

It's so weird to think that Pennsylvania used to have more votes than California.

Deleted user

well it makes sense because it was before a lot of Americans moved to the west

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

I think it's hella necessary and gives minorities a chance at representation instead of making this a true democracy which is mob rule only sometimes more civil.

@Moxie group

I think it's hella necessary and gives minorities a chance at representation instead of making this a true democracy which is mob rule only sometimes more civil.

Okay but. The electoral college was only formed because the founding fathers didn't trust the American public to be informed enough about the candidates to make an educated decision. Which makes sense when a lot of your population is uneducated farmers who's only source of media is the occasional newspaper. But now everyone is required to have a basic education because of school. And we have access to so much more media and information. There are articles, we can read the candidate's website directly, we can even watch them debate issues live. There's a lot more information and access to information then there was in the 17 and 1800s so the reasoning for the electoral college is nonexistent.
I'm confused about your minorities point.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

Oh I don't mean racially. I mean less densely populated states. And do you really think the public is educated politically? Everyone knows the public school system is garbage. Why do you have such faith in it now. And why would you trust good political education to a government run entity? The running joke about politicians is there for a reason. I trust 1 1/2 politicians and that's because they are the few I've met who I was able to respect after listening to. (To be fair, one of them is my pretty much second dad.)

@Moxie group

Ohh okay. The electoral college doesn't really help less densely populated states though. That is a very common complaint from states with small populations.
I don't really, but I think they can be if they wanted to be. Yes, the public school system is complete garbage and I talk about that often, but everyone knows how to read and write. Everyone can do basic math. I meant that everyone has a basic education, and they have the option to be educated more if they chose. And I don't just mean through college, but through the internet too. I know news sources are biased, but its still more than they had when this system was put in place. I would not trust a good political education, but that's not what I meant. Sorry, I wasnt very clear on that.