forum Debate. Debate. Debate.
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

@Moxie group

If I remember right and I'm not totally sure I do he can't run again because he was elected so late. I think.
I really don't think he or Trump would get elected again tho

@HighPockets group

Well William Henry Harrison was a fucking dumbass that thought he didn't need a coat or a hat in the middle of a storm.

I was going to agree, but then I remembered that I wore a sweatshirt and thin gloves on my walk last night and that would make me even more of a dumbass.

@Queen_Cuisine

Maybe it'll be a William Henry Harrison situation and he'll get pneumonia after a week in office

A fellow human of history I see. That would be a rather convenient outcome though.

@HighPockets group

Maybe it'll be a William Henry Harrison situation and he'll get pneumonia after a week in office

A fellow human of history I see. That would be a rather convenient outcome though.

I am! I had a harcore US history phase in all of elementary and middle school!

@Queen_Cuisine

I am! I had a harcore US history phase in all of elementary and middle school!

For me it was High School. I'm the person that knows the really weird and obscure stuff mostly. Also I did have to memorize all 45 presidents. If only I lived in Canada, that would have made it easier

@Queen_Cuisine

When you only remember half of the Revolutionary war and .01 of any other history.
Ancient civilizations are the only thing I remember.

I know U.S. History because… Well I'm an American but I love the ancient civs much more, especially the ones nobody talks about.

@Mojack group

I know some us history because we learn a little bit about it in history, but that’s due to US-CAN relationship through history and such.

I really like some of the ancient civs though. The Aztecs are some of my favourites.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

Ohh okay. The electoral college doesn't really help less densely populated states though. That is a very common complaint from states with small populations.
I don't really, but I think they can be if they wanted to be. Yes, the public school system is complete garbage and I talk about that often, but everyone knows how to read and write. Everyone can do basic math. I meant that everyone has a basic education, and they have the option to be educated more if they chose. And I don't just mean through college, but through the internet too. I know news sources are biased, but its still more than they had when this system was put in place. I would not trust a good political education, but that's not what I meant. Sorry, I wasnt very clear on that.

As I have something to fall back on and no way to further argue the small state point I'ma let that one away.
True, but the likelihood is small enough to warrant ignoring it probably. Oh I see what you're saying. But I think it takes more than the ability of those things to be politically competent. (But like I said earlier, it's possible but probably not happening. But I have low expectations for humanity.) Really it hinges on whether or not people are willing to search out opinions they don't like. Most people are content thinking that what they were taught is Right and will ignore most other things or just use arguments that attack what is not the real position. Most people have a hard time thinking they can be wrong. It's really interesting actually and I can (somewhat) explain the psychological process. Maybe later.
But back to the arguments. With democracy, the majority can easily oppress the minority. I think the American people understand that a little bit, but since the minority so often thinks they are Right, they do not feel much regret in forcing the Right opinions/laws/etc on the minority because they are Wrong. (I realize I am kind of going back to that first argument, so I will add that maybe it helps smaller states by blocking larger ones to a certain extent.)
The other important part is this: If we are running without the College, then that means (democracy) that the candidate can simply (attempt to) find a way to campaign to the majority states, or simply one area. The huge problem with this is that different places have different needs and interests. (I feel like Hello Future Me mentions this in an On Worldbuilding video on empires.) That means that if this fictional candidate's plan works, a president can be elected that serves some states or a particular area well perhaps, but is in a position to neglect to the rest of the country. (Which is more than possible since s/he only needs to keep their base of voters happy to get reelected.)
The Electoral College system means that for a presidential candidate to win, s/he has to campaign in a way that is likely to gain approval for all (or most of) the states that are to be governed by them. in other words. The electoral college system makes it more likely for the elected president to be one that will care for the entire county, instead of neglecting most of it in favor of the densely populated states.

@Queen_Cuisine here is my defense of the Electoral College.

@Queen_Cuisine

Ohh okay. The electoral college doesn't really help less densely populated states though. That is a very common complaint from states with small populations.
I don't really, but I think they can be if they wanted to be. Yes, the public school system is complete garbage and I talk about that often, but everyone knows how to read and write. Everyone can do basic math. I meant that everyone has a basic education, and they have the option to be educated more if they chose. And I don't just mean through college, but through the internet too. I know news sources are biased, but its still more than they had when this system was put in place. I would not trust a good political education, but that's not what I meant. Sorry, I wasnt very clear on that.

As I have something to fall back on and no way to further argue the small state point I'ma let that one away.
True, but the likelihood is small enough to warrant ignoring it probably. Oh I see what you're saying. But I think it takes more than the ability of those things to be politically competent. (But like I said earlier, it's possible but probably not happening. But I have low expectations for humanity.) Really it hinges on whether or not people are willing to search out opinions they don't like. Most people are content thinking that what they were taught is Right and will ignore most other things or just use arguments that attack what is not the real position. Most people have a hard time thinking they can be wrong. It's really interesting actually and I can (somewhat) explain the psychological process. Maybe later.
But back to the arguments. With democracy, the majority can easily oppress the minority. I think the American people understand that a little bit, but since the minority so often thinks they are Right, they do not feel much regret in forcing the Right opinions/laws/etc on the minority because they are Wrong. (I realize I am kind of going back to that first argument, so I will add that maybe it helps smaller states by blocking larger ones to a certain extent.)
The other important part is this: If we are running without the College, then that means (democracy) that the candidate can simply (attempt to) find a way to campaign to the majority states, or simply one area. The huge problem with this is that different places have different needs and interests. (I feel like Hello Future Me mentions this in an On Worldbuilding video on empires.) That means that if this fictional candidate's plan works, a president can be elected that serves some states or a particular area well perhaps, but is in a position to neglect to the rest of the country. (Which is more than possible since s/he only needs to keep their base of voters happy to get reelected.)
The Electoral College system means that for a presidential candidate to win, s/he has to campaign in a way that is likely to gain approval for all (or most of) the states that are to be governed by them. in other words. The electoral college system makes it more likely for the elected president to be one that will care for the entire county, instead of neglecting most of it in favor of the densely populated states.

@Queen_Cuisine here is my defense of the Electoral College.

If I were going to attempt to run for president, guess what my platform would be? It would be one that specifically benefitted California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, and Virginia. Why them? Well it's because they have the highest number electoral seats (as of 2010, they will slightly shift next year). That's 12 states… Out of 50. To win and be ahead by an additional 13 seats.

If you live in Washington (State), Arizona, Indiana, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Maryland, Minnesota, and all of the other 38 states. Your opinion doesn't matter to someone looking for the electoral votes because PLOT TWIST… You're state isn't worth as many points to the high score of your politician.

Obviously a smart president would also find a few other states for backup but nonetheless, they don't need that many of the states.

A potential president need to gain approval of:

"… all (or most of) the states that are to be governed by them…"

I think not.

@Low_Mein

One. Fair.
Two. You gotta git so you have a chance here later.

but where do I "git"

Anywhere but Notebook.

but this is my only way to socially interact :(

Tough luck.

'Tis. Goodbye for a while…

@Low_Mein

Bye Logan…
Make sure you take care of yourself
Stay hydrated
Definitely don’t die
I’ll miss you-

Thanks Ella. You've been a real one. One of the few who haven't said anything rude. Thank you for taking time to talk and help me out. I've reached an all time low but whatever. I'll bullshit my way out of it somehow. I don't think I'll attempt suicide or anything but I'm definitely gonna mope around. Peace, miss you too.

Also I like never drink near enough water so oof