forum Debate. Debate. Debate.
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

Deleted user

If someone intentionally picks up a smutty book then it's fine, I only have an issue with it if it's being made readily available to minors (like books with explicit sex being shelved in YA sections)

But YA is Young Adult.

pft. hardly

Deleted user

If someone intentionally picks up a smutty book then it's fine, I only have an issue with it if it's being made readily available to minors (like books with explicit sex being shelved in YA sections)

But YA is Young Adult.

pft. hardly

But… It does.

@Queen_Cuisine

But YA is Young Adult.

pft. hardly

But… It does.

I have to agree with Eris here. Even though the section is labeled "Young Adult", the target audience for some Young Adult books can be blurry to say the least. Young Adult books seem to often be targeted less towards the 18-25 range of actual "Young Adulthood" but closer to a 16ish- early to mid twenties. Books that are marketed towards teens can end up on those shelves and so can younger adult books with plenty of examples of books that go towards the blurred age range. Ready Player One (my favourite novel) if not put in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category could be placed in the YA section and the target audience of that could be as young as fifteen, far under the adult mark.

Also, unless the YA section was treated like just a sub-section of an adult section, I would not be questioned when I walked up to the counter with a YA book (and I probably wouldn't be). Unless you restrict YA like an adult section entirely or just remove the sub-section, it's less adult and more "The Old Teen Section".

@bonjourhumans

How about your stance on homework?

Well, if teachers/school administration are so concerned about keeping movies and other "home" activities outside of school, they shouldn't be assigning "school" work outside of school. They're just being hypocrites in my opinion.
Sorry, I was rereading through everything and i just HAD to input my idea XD

@bonjourhumans

Chick-fil-a is disgusting

I agree. The only thing I like about Chick-fil-A is the nuggets…and even then I try to avoid it because of the anti-LGBTQ+ reputation is has.

@HighPockets group

I've only had Chick-Fil-A twice, once when I was like 10 and on vacation in Saint Louis (so I don't remember it) and once like a year ago at the nearest location, and apparently it's not a very good location.

@GameMaster group

But YA is Young Adult.

pft. hardly

But… It does.

I have to agree with Eris here. Even though the section is labeled "Young Adult", the target audience for some Young Adult books can be blurry to say the least. Young Adult books seem to often be targeted less towards the 18-25 range of actual "Young Adulthood" but closer to a 16ish- early to mid twenties. Books that are marketed towards teens can end up on those shelves and so can younger adult books with plenty of examples of books that go towards the blurred age range. Ready Player One (my favourite novel) if not put in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category could be placed in the YA section and the target audience of that could be as young as fifteen, far under the adult mark.

Also, unless the YA section was treated like just a sub-section of an adult section, I would not be questioned when I walked up to the counter with a YA book (and I probably wouldn't be). Unless you restrict YA like an adult section entirely or just remove the sub-section, it's less adult and more "The Old Teen Section".

Not gonna lie I always made a beeline for the YA section because books for kids my age are boring and repetitive. Been doing it since I was eight and I’m not exactly an older teen now. I always assumed it was just for older kids.