forum The Roodeness Shenanigans
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 110 followers

@Pickles group

i will say though, jkr wasn't too much better about the way she treated her houses. she had obvious favorites and the slytherins were demonized, which is one of the funniest thing because how do you look at an eleven year old and say 'this one's to the bad house' like oh my god????

i saw something forever ago saying the reason so many people in slytherin graduated and went on to do evil things was because they were made to and honestly yeah that fits. if you tell a child repeatedly for seven fucking years of their life that they are nothing but evil, that they can never be good or the hero or anything other than scummy and a villain, they're going to act the part because at least then they fit somewhere. at least then they aren't pushing against society and so much.

it's also part of the reason that even if i could fit hufflepuff, because i share so many traits of the other houses(i am very far from hardworking though) i will never abandon that house. it's fictional, yes, but it's still important. imagine convincing a generation of kids that being quick witted, cunning, and ambitious is bad lmao

that's a really good point, i think the harry potter fandom was enough of a massive cultural phenomenon that the "taboo" of being a slytherin was sort of removed in fanon, but jkr definitely had her biases (and then tried to pretend she didn't after the series was over iirc, but she said a lot of shit after the series was over so who can keep track lmao)

"HuFfLePuFfS aRe My FaVoRiTe!" Bullshit, woman.

@SpookyScarySnoteleks group

Off-topic but it is very rude that my steampunk plague doctor mask isn't able to be used as an actual mask :[

I wanna modify a plague doctor mask so it's functional
Then
rhinestones

@HighPockets group

i'm late to the party and i read divergent like 9 years ago, but i think erudite was weird to me because iirc they framed it like "each faction thinks [insert one thing here] is the root of all evil in society," which is an inherently flawed concept to me first of all, but she made erudite "the root of all evil is stupidity" whereas imo it would have made may more sense for them to say like "oh the root of all evil is a lack of education/access to education" or "the root of all evil is willful ignorance" but she made it so that erudite is just super elitist and one-dimensional, and yeah it does read as really anti-intellectual

Yes, this! All of the other ones have things like "the root of evil is dishonesty/selfishness/cowardice/cruelty" and then Erudite's like "lol dumb people bad"
Also the setup for Dauntless kinda bothers me too because it puts so much emphasis on on physicality and being able to fight being signs of bravery, and you can be brave without being physically strong (or, y'know, being physically abled at all)
Idk it bothers me that there's really no way to be disabled and still be considered Dauntless due to how fighting is literally the entire first part.

yeah i think there's a lot of blindspots in the worldbuilding of the divergent series that i don't see in other popular ya series, it's very simplistic. part of the reason i never got into it was honestly because it just wasn't fun to sort yourself into factions like it was with hogwarts houses or godly parents (which i think is part of why hp and pjato have so much staying power, regardless of my personal feelings about jkr at the moment lmao. there's so much less consideration for the audience in the divergent series, and so much less opportunity for them to immerse themselves in the story world)

Yeah, same. JKR sucks but the Hogwarts houses were more than just "what choice do you make in this VR thing?"
I've never really seen anyone be like "yeah, I'm Amity! Haha Amity squad!!" the way they do with Hogwarts houses or PJO cabins. Mainly because houses centered on your values rather than your reactions, especially your reactions under intense pressure.

I like Divergent. It's still about values, because your reactions under intense pressure SHOW your values.

i mean, i feel like the way the factions work, they remove this element of self-determination that's present in other sort-us-into-categories type ya series. if you freeze up in one moment, will you always freeze up after that? and divergent can't ask that question, because anyone who freezes up in the moment is denied character development as the series progresses. i mean i see the appeal, and i understand how divergent just being a dystopian series lends itself to a sort of stricter classification system, but it's not my thing (or at least it wasn't when i was 11/12, because again, it's been a while)

Also if you get judged as not brave/selfless/smart/nice/honest enough, you're cast out and left on your own
Which is kiiiind of a bad message to send about people who, for whatever reason, are on their own, homeless, etc.

yikes i didn't even remember that part!!

Yeah, if you don't pass the insanely stressing (physically and emotionally) challenges you're thrown out of your faction, separated from your families, and left on the streets. For stuff like not being a badass fighter at 16, or even things that aren't your fault, like the kid who got stabbed in the eye as he slept.

@HighPockets group

Also it's super gross how Roth just completely wiped Peter (who, iirc, sexually assaulted Tris in the first book) clean with some brainwash thing. Like, you wrote yourself into a corner here and that'show you get out of it?

@croccin-champagne

there were like four whole recurring hufflepuff characters and

one of them was gruesomely killed for a cause that wasn't his, because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time
one was a dick and a coward
and the other two had like no actual character traits except one of them was scared of tiny practically a freshman harry just because of a rumor and circumstantial evidence so

so much for liking hufflepuffs huh miss 'all of the important, good and valid characters are either gryffindors, implied gryffindors, or were abusive and framed as evil bcs they were from the evil house, the entire series'

@Pickles group

Don't forget that it wasn't just dauntless who kicked people out. Erudite kicked people out for not being smart enough, you got kicked out of amity if you got into too many fights/didn't eat enough of the bread, iirc candor kicked you out if you didn't do well enough and I'm pretty sure abnegation was the only one who didn't kick people out
Dauntless just had an insane amount of people kicked out cause by their acceptance rate you'd think they were Juliard or something. Honestly all of the factions had fairly taxing hazings initiations but dauntless was by far the worst

Also it's super gross how Roth just completely wiped Peter (who, iirc, sexually assaulted Tris in the first book) clean with some brainwash thing. Like, you wrote yourself into a corner here and that's how you get out of it?

@ElderGod-Icefire

Also Four and Tris's relationship always seemed off to me. Mainly because he was in a position of power over her.

YES. It always felt strange to me, even though I was only like…14 when I read it

Also Four and Tris's relationship always seemed off to me. Mainly because he was in a position of power over her.

YES. It always felt strange to me, even though I was only like…14 when I read it

I was like 11 and it was weird to me

@Pickles group

there were like four whole recurring hufflepuff characters and

one of them was gruesomely killed for a cause that wasn't his, because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time
one was a dick and a coward
and the other two had like no actual character traits except one of them was scared of tiny practically a freshman harry just because of a rumor and circumstantial evidence so

so much for liking hufflepuffs huh miss 'all of the important, good and valid characters are either gryffindors, implied gryffindors, or were abusive and framed as evil bcs they were from the evil house, the entire series'

I can't fucking believe people let her get away with saying Hufflepuff was her favorite house. Hufflepuffs wore that as like, a badge of pride. "YEAH WELL WE'RE JKR'S FAVORITE HOUSE" can't believe we were all that gullible, she clearly didn't and doesn't like us

@HighPockets group

Don't forget that it wasn't just dauntless who kicked people out. Erudite kicked people out for not being smart enough, you got kicked out of amity if you got into too many fights/didn't eat enough of the bread, iirc candor kicked you out if you didn't do well enough and I'm pretty sure abnegation was the only one who didn't kick people out
Dauntless just had an insane amount of people kicked out cause by their acceptance rate you'd think they were Juliard or something. Honestly all of the factions had fairly taxing hazings initiations but dauntless was by far the worst

Yeah, you got kicked out of Dauntless for….not wanting to risk severe injury a week into intense training? Not being a badass fighter after never learning combat before now? Someone being jealous of you and deciding to attack you while you're incapacitated? Maybe I'm too Slytherin to get this but I don't think it's "cowardly" to not want to jump off of a moving train suspended in midair.

Yeah, you got kicked out of Dauntless for….not wanting to risk severe injury a week into intense training? Not being a badass fighter after never learning combat before now? Someone being jealous of you and deciding to attack you while you're incapacitated? Maybe I'm too Slytherin to get this but I don't think it's "cowardly" to not want to jump off of a moving train suspended in midair.

Dauntless has crossed the line from bravery over to sheer stupidity

@croccin-champagne

wasn't he also like super old compared to her?

and okay, admittedly, i haven't read them in forever but i could've sworn there was a point where he like, used his past abuse to manipulate her

@Pickles group

Dauntless has crossed the line from bravery over to sheer stupidity

Many times

and okay, admittedly, i haven't read them in forever but i could've sworn there was a point where he like, used his past abuse to manipulate her

I think there was at least one point

@HighPockets group

Student/teacher romance has always been something I didn't like. Especially since they have to do the whole "he's 18 and not even from Dauntless but he's super fucking talented see he's not the normal teacher age and he's hot so it's okay!!!" like ma'am just make him another student instead of the teacher, it gets rid of that gross aspect and it adds more tension.

@Pickles group

Yeah he was like umu my dad beat me, come watch and save me, also I was from your faction and I had to leave to get away from him
And then I'm pretty sure he spouted his 'reasoning' which was either basically the same as hers or turned into hers later on

@HighPockets group

He's 18 so it's not that bad compared to others, but all I could think was "this guy's practically a kid, why is he in this position of power? He's not even some prodigy Dauntless kid, he's an Abnegation transfer"
idr for sure, but there was a part where he took her through his fear landscape and one of those was his father beating him.

@Pickles group

Student/teacher romance has always been something I didn't like. Especially since they have to do the whole "he's 18 and not even from Dauntless but he's super fucking talented see he's not the normal teacher age and he's hot so it's okay!!!" like ma'am just make him another student instead of the teacher, it gets rid of that gross aspect and it adds more tension.

Yeah it wasn't even necessary for him to be a teacher??? Like at all. Everything would've turned out the same

@croccin-champagne

Yeah he was like umu my dad beat me, come watch and save me, also I was from your faction and I had to leave to get away from him
And then I'm pretty sure he spouted his 'reasoning' which was either basically the same as hers or turned into hers later on

coughemotionallyabusivecough

@Pickles group

He's 18 so it's not that bad compared to others, but all I could think was "this guy's practically a kid, why is he in this position of power? He's not even some prodigy Dauntless kid, he's an Abnegation transfer"
idr for sure, but there was a part where he took her through his fear landscape and one of those was his father beating him.

Even irl there's such a power dynamic between sophomores and seniors that are just meeting, and when you add the fact that he's somehow a teacher, you just exacerbate it and use a "there's only a two year difference" to excuse the whole thing