forum The Roodeness Shenanigans
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 110 followers

@HighPockets group

who the fuck said. 'lets give a bunch of uninterested teens four Shakespeare books to read' ffs

which ones??

merchant of venice, Romeo and Juliet, hamlet, king lea

ooh merchant of venice is… a lot to process, sociopolitically, but portia is as great as any cross-dressing shakespeare heroine (and they're all great). romeo and juliet + hamlet you're probably already at least a little familiar with. lear is one of my favorite tragedies! kent is probably my favorite character, i like watching him grapple with the question of what loyalty means (just blindly trusting someone, or loving them enough to question them? watch out for that). they'll all be much easier reads than you think!

Yeah, MoV has some Yikesy moments with the way that Shylock is handled, but Portia is very neat. Hamlet is my favorite tragedy and I love it lots, I love interpreting Romeo and Juliet as a satire since it pisses off my teachers, and King Lear is dark but very good as well. I'm set to play Edmund, the Fool, and the Messenger in my little 5-person production.

@HighPockets group

(my favorite is twelfth night, so if you wanna add even more shakespeare on top of the four plays you already have to read… lol)

(My favorite is Henry V <3)

Deleted user

Demisexual can (as far as I know) mean for both or either gender. I’ve started to question my own demi/asexuality so I don’t think I’m the best person to ask.

Oof, I apologise
I should just label myself as questioning

Oh no it’s fine! I’ve been labeling myself as demi for a few years until recently (actually really recently) so I know a good bit about it, I just don’t know if it fits me anymore. Though in my defense, the person in question who made me rethink it, I am really close with…

sigh

But demisexuality is really, in my terms, sexual feelings for someone you have a long, close relationship with. It doesn’t matter of the gender (bisexuality/homosexuality) will do that for you. I think labeling yourself as bi, and making it clear that you have a lean, which is totally natural, for I have a lean for ladies, is important.

@ccb group

I honestly really don't know what I am, when it comes to sexuality, but I think I'm demi. I can appreciate aesthetically pleasing people, though it's not very often? Like, my mom will have her celeb hotties and try to pressure me into agreeing with her that they're hot (they're not, at least to me, and all guys) but the people (male and female) that I find pleasing to the eye aren't the people she would be attracted to. And I wouldn't say I'm attracted to them, just… I dunno, appreciating their beauty?

I've had very minor crushes that don't last long, but I don't ever find myself sexually attracted to anyone. But I don't say I'm ace because I don't explicitly know if I do or don't want sex? Like, it's not wholly unappealing to me, in theory, but I've obviously got no experience in that area ghfjgh. Would I consider dating people that I know well though? Yes. It's happened before.

I'm just rambling at this point ghfjgh. Disregard my nonsense

my friend feels the exact same way about this. she has trouble differentiating between being attracted to someone and appreciating their beauty, and as someone who is attracted to people (i think?), it's actually a super nebulous and difficult distinction to make sometimes, unfortunately. if you want an accurate label, you deserve to be able to find that, but know that you're under no obligation to have one. sexual orientation can be hard to define (i speak from experience)

@ccb group

(my favorite is twelfth night, so if you wanna add even more shakespeare on top of the four plays you already have to read… lol)

ooh i played henry iv in high school!! uneasy lies the head that wears the crown am i right :'(

@Brooklyn_Is_Here

But demisexuality is really, in my terms, sexual feelings for someone you have a long, close relationship with. It doesn’t matter of the gender (bisexuality/homosexuality) will do that for you. I think labeling yourself as bi, and making it clear that you have a lean, which is totally natural, for I have a lean for ladies, is important.

Question. is that the same as "grey" Asexual or Ace?

@HighPockets group

ooh i played henry iv in high school!! uneasy lies the head that wears the crown am i right :'(

Right :'(
I played Hostess Quickly and Montjoy, and it was the best show I've ever been in! The only role that's come close is when I played Oberon in A Midsummer Night's Midterm (basically Midsummer but dumbed down a little for kids)

@Pickles group

No, not really. Grey-sexual is feeling sexual attraction very rarely, regardless of how long you've known them. (Also asexual and ace are the same thing)
But I guess demi technically falls under grey

Deleted user

@strangebird can i just say that i love you??? you watch Pierre XO too and I just kjhvfiljebeh

@HighPockets group

No, not really. Grey-sexual is feeling sexual attraction very rarely, regardless of how long you've known them. (Also asexual and ace are the same thing)

Also, you can just chop off the prefixes of each and add -romantic at the end, and it works for romantic attraction as well!

@ccb group

I played Hostess Quickly and Montjoy, and it was the best show I've ever been in! The only role that's come close is when I played Oberon in A Midsummer Night's Midterm (basically Midsummer but dumbed down a little for kids)

omg hostess quickly would be so much fun to play. i played titania in midsummer in middle school! and then i was helena a couple years later. there are few shakespeare lines taken out of context more often than "though she be but little, she is fierce" lol

@ElderGod-kirky group

@strangebird can i just say that i love you??? you watch Pierre XO too and I just kjhvfiljebeh

ghfjghfjgh I legit got him in my recommended and was like "Ooo, that's a pretty woma—thATS A DUDE BUT HE'S STILL PRETTY IMMA WATCH

@Pickles group

Whoops I didn't know that sorry, but thank you for informing me about this!

I don't really know all that much about either because I'm very firmly no sexual attraction ever, but I've always seen them listed as two separate things with their own definitions. Things get real funky when it's not black and white

@HighPockets group

omg hostess quickly would be so much fun to play. i played titania in midsummer in middle school! and then i was helena a couple years later. there are few shakespeare lines taken out of context more often than "though she be but little, she is fierce" lol

She was!!! Montjoy is my favorite role to date (unless Kate counts, but I'm just doing one monologue of hers and not playing her, although I want to!) but I've also mostly gotten ensemble parts lol. That's so cool! I played Oberon in 8th grade because there were only a handful of guys in drama club and so they cast me as him. I got a little makeup beard lmao. That's cool as well! Ha I have a "she is fierce" shirt that I got last summer, you're right about the context though
I want a "if I were a man, I would eat his heart in the marketplace!" shirt so bad-

@Pickles group

Also, you can just chop off the prefixes of each and add -romantic at the end, and it works for romantic attraction as well!

Yup, abso-pumpkin-lutely. Romantic orientation is a lot more confusing than sexual if you ask everyone me. But like. It's fiiiiine it doesn't cause any problems or confusion at allllll

Deleted user

basically what they said lmao

Though it’s easier to say you’re “grey” ace instead of demi and get your gender confused for the person, they are not the same

@ccb group

She was!!! Montjoy is my favorite role to date (unless Kate counts, but I'm just doing one monologue of hers and not playing her, although I want to!) but I've also mostly gotten ensemble parts lol. That's so cool! I played Oberon in 8th grade because there were only a handful of guys in drama club and so they cast me as him. I got a little makeup beard lmao. That's cool as well! Ha I have a "she is fierce" shirt that I got last summer, you're right about the context though
I want a "if I were a man, I would eat his heart in the marketplace!" shirt so bad-

i did a close-reading scene project where i was hotspur and my friend (who is a guy and a head taller than me, and i'm tall) was kate. it's so much fun taking on a physicality you don't normally get to take on, and shakespeare's work lends itself to that imo, even when it isn't explicitly subversive of gender norms.
and beatrice is my DREAM role omg i've wanted to play her since i was 12. much ado was the first shakespeare play i ever saw live, i keep a mini copy that i got in stratford-upon-avon a few years ago in my backpack at all times

Deleted user

ghfjghfjgh I legit got him in my recommended and was like "Ooo, that's a pretty woma—thATS A DUDE BUT HE'S STILL PRETTY IMMA WATCH

same !!
dude he makes some good points and i find myself nodding my head every time
i could listen to him talk for h o u r s

@ElderGod-Icefire

i did a close-reading scene project where i was hotspur and my friend (who is a guy and a head taller than me, and i'm tall) was kate. it's so much fun taking on a physicality you don't normally get to take on, and shakespeare's work lends itself to that imo, even when it isn't explicitly subversive of gender norms.
and beatrice is my DREAM role omg i've wanted to play her since i was 12. much ado was the first shakespeare play i ever saw live, i keep a mini copy that i got in stratford-upon-avon a few years ago in my backpack at all times

Beatrice is fucking amazing

@ElderGod-kirky group

same !!
dude he makes some good points and i find myself nodding my head every time
i could listen to him talk for h o u r s

Yeah, I gotta go back and watch more of his videos, but he's definitely someone that makes good, educated points in his videos, and he's just someone that I can listen to for extended periods of time.

@HighPockets group

OH I meant Kate Minola but that sounds so fun!! Most of my Henry V cast was generswapped (we kept the text the same though), we actually had two female Henrys (we swapped them out midway through), Montjoy, Exeter, Nym, Pistol, the Dauphin, the Boy, Bourbon, and Canterbury!
YES SAME! I would love to play Beatrice (or Benedick or Dogberry, but mainly Beatrice!!), Much Ado is my favorite of the comedies and I've been working on and off on a musical based on it!! I've got like nothing written but I swear I'll actually do it someday lol

@Pickles group

So my brother just burst into my room and asked me how much money it'd take me to 'shave my nose off to look like Voldemort' and I'm deeply disturbed

I'm dying

@ElderGod-Icefire

So my brother just burst into my room and asked me how much money it'd take me to 'shave my nose off to look like Voldemort' and I'm deeply disturbed

Well? How much?