forum Debate. Debate. Debate.
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

@Queen_Cuisine

I'll try to be serious so I don't make any dumb jokes, but I have to say (when concerning sex determining your personality because that was the original question, I'm not touching the health part) that sex sort of matters.

Even as someone who is going through the very VERY early stages of an MtF transition and someone who wishes to topple the tyrannical classic sex tied genders, I can agree that sex does affect your personality to an extent. Sex is both a genetic thing, which partly affects a few things but more importantly is an issue of hormones. Hormones makes you act different ways, have different emotions, and affect your personality from young childhood… However, that's really where it stops and then moves on to society's role.

For anyone who doesn't agree with Freud because he is a sexist prick (even I know he is a misogynist), stop reading here, because I'm going to be using a bit of his version of how the mind works.

Now despite Freud's shortcomings in understanding women aren't jealous that men have dicks, he does manage to create a fairly accurate picture of how the mind is shaped in early childhood. When you are young, your role model is (more than likely) your parents for a long time. Your older siblings also have a part in that too. Anyway, your parents (and siblings) help shape your super-ego, the part of the mind that punishes you when you act in a way contradictory to your morality and knowledge of the world, and therefore are the first major influence on your idea of gender. I shall use my own childhood as an example, you may argue with your own personal experience if you'd like.

Remember for context, I am a young trans woman. Also, if you want the long and short of it scroll to the very bottom.

I was raised in a classic nuclear family with myself and my older brother. My parents taught us the way gender and marriage and all of that worked in the way they knew it, in the eyes of a boomer (which is not a slur, don't act like it is one). They didn't give John and I the whole "Boys don't cry, be a man." thing but they did treat us like what we were, two young boys. I myself was in certain ways, strangely feminine at a young age. Did I have masculine interests? Yes, but these mostly were interests brought to life by my masculine raising as a kid. The only major outside influence to me (as I was homeschooled and didn't see other people often, especially in such a small area) was I played a few sports and got to know the fellow players. I have almost ALWAYS gotten along better with females than males, as males had interests that seemed alien to me and were way too rough and rude (no offense gentlemen). When I got to middle school however (which is around the time Freud suggests that your role model changes), I began public school and whenever I acted feminine, I would be called "faggot" (pardon my language). I was harassed daily and slowly but surely acted more masculine over time as I was afraid of being that horrible thing my peers would call me, and hung around the manliest men that ever manned (or as close as a middle schooler gets, so not at all manly, just an asshole).

At this time I also wanted my parents to love me so I tried emulating my masculine and successful older brother. I tried to emulate everything I could about him.

Highschool is when the bullies moved on and I often hung around the people I was originally comfortable with, young ladies. Not because I wanted to get laid, but because I felt a better connection. (Besides, they were lesbians. We both agreed it was never going to happen.)

Eventually I was able to open up more and with a positive surrounding of gender fluidity, I finally was able to come out.

It's society and your surroundings that help define your personality, but more importantly help you open up and find out exactly where you stand instead of where you forced to stand. It sounds cheesy to say but I always felt feminine in my youth, but it was finding the right group to surround myself with that allowed me to say. That is what shaped me, not the fact I was born with a p rather than a v.

"My name is [REDACTED BECAUSE INTERNET], call me 'she'."

Now that I'm done with what felt like a Ted Talk, my point is personality is based leas on sex and more by gender.

@Queen_Cuisine

I'll try to be serious so I don't make any dumb jokes, but I have to say (when concerning sex determining your personality because that was the original question, I'm not touching the health part) that sex sort of matters.

Even as someone who is going through the very VERY early stages of an MtF transition and someone who wishes to topple the tyrannical classic sex tied genders, I can agree that sex does affect your personality to an extent. Sex is both a genetic thing, which partly affects a few things but more importantly is an issue of hormones. Hormones makes you act different ways, have different emotions, and affect your personality from young childhood… However, that's really where it stops and then moves on to society's role.

For anyone who doesn't agree with Freud because he is a sexist prick (even I know he is a misogynist), stop reading here, because I'm going to be using a bit of his version of how the mind works.

Now despite Freud's shortcomings in understanding women aren't jealous that men have dicks, he does manage to create a fairly accurate picture of how the mind is shaped in early childhood. When you are young, your role model is (more than likely) your parents for a long time. Your older siblings also have a part in that too. Anyway, your parents (and siblings) help shape your super-ego, the part of the mind that punishes you when you act in a way contradictory to your morality and knowledge of the world, and therefore are the first major influence on your idea of gender. I shall use my own childhood as an example, you may argue with your own personal experience if you'd like.

Remember for context, I am a young trans woman. Also, if you want the long and short of it scroll to the very bottom.

I was raised in a classic nuclear family with myself and my older brother. My parents taught us the way gender and marriage and all of that worked in the way they knew it, in the eyes of a boomer (which is not a slur, don't act like it is one). They didn't give John and I the whole "Boys don't cry, be a man." thing but they did treat us like what we were, two young boys. I myself was in certain ways, strangely feminine at a young age. Did I have masculine interests? Yes, but these mostly were interests brought to life by my masculine raising as a kid. The only major outside influence to me (as I was homeschooled and didn't see other people often, especially in such a small area) was I played a few sports and got to know the fellow players. I have almost ALWAYS gotten along better with females than males, as males had interests that seemed alien to me and were way too rough and rude (no offense gentlemen). When I got to middle school however (which is around the time Freud suggests that your role model changes), I began public school and whenever I acted feminine, I would be called "faggot" (pardon my language). I was harassed daily and slowly but surely acted more masculine over time as I was afraid of being that horrible thing my peers would call me, and hung around the manliest men that ever manned (or as close as a middle schooler gets, so not at all manly, just an asshole).

At this time I also wanted my parents to love me so I tried emulating my masculine and successful older brother. I tried to emulate everything I could about him.

Highschool is when the bullies moved on and I often hung around the people I was originally comfortable with, young ladies. Not because I wanted to get laid, but because I felt a better connection. (Besides, they were lesbians. We both agreed it was never going to happen.)

Eventually I was able to open up more and with a positive surrounding of gender fluidity, I finally was able to come out.

It's society and your surroundings that help define your personality, but more importantly help you open up and find out exactly where you stand instead of where you forced to stand. It sounds cheesy to say but I always felt feminine in my youth, but it was finding the right group to surround myself with that allowed me to say. That is what shaped me, not the fact I was born with a p rather than a v.

"My name is [REDACTED BECAUSE INTERNET], call me 'she'."

Now that I'm done with what felt like a Ted Talk, my point is personality is based leas on sex and more by gender.

Also by the way I had to edit this towards the end because I accidentally finished the argument in not the way I wanted so refresh your page.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

Normally I don't say this sort of thing but thanks for the insight into your story @Queen_Cuisine . Really appreciate it. Somewhat oddly, I empathized with a lot of what you said. (More feminine interests, on occasion strong dislike of masculine interests, preferring females for friends).

@Queen_Cuisine

Normally I don't say this sort of thing but thanks for the insight into your story @Queen_Cuisine . Really appreciate it. Somewhat oddly, I empathized with a lot of what you said. (More feminine interests, on occasion strong dislike of masculine interests, preferring females for friends).

You're welcome, that's why I used the personal example. Not everyone has the same story as me but I knew some people could relate, and using examples from my own life is easy for me to draw comparisons with. I'm happy to hear what you said and that my insight helped. :)

Deleted user

Gaaaaah– My friend, that was an incredible argument. I enjoyed reading it and think that it is a great example for this.

@Queen_Cuisine

Gaaaaah– My friend, that was an incredible argument. I enjoyed reading it and think that it is a great example for this.

Oh stop it Eris, you're making me blush.

Deleted user

Oh stop it Eris, you're making me blush.

;D oh good!

Deleted user

We'll see. I'll try to pick apart the argument later. We'll see what happens.

but she agreed with you

Deleted user

my dad would agree with you, but i personally never watched it

@Queen_Cuisine

On second thought, I agree. I would say that sex creates one's primal self, while society (in differing layers, going outwards) creates the more easily seen personality; the outward layers.

That's a better paraphrasing of my argument than the one I had made.

Deleted user

The Office is boring and it's not funny. At all.

WHAT

EXCUSE ME
EXCUSE ME

Deleted user

yes bitch, says the one who doesn't like spaghetti

you've proved that your opinions are WRONG

And you've proved that nobody gives a shit about your love for spaghetti

@Pickles group

flashback to Emi fighting you about it

@The-N-U-T-Cracker

False
I give a heck about their love for spaghetti and I fully agree with it
Your spaghetti opinions, on the other hand…