forum The Roodeness Shenanigans
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 110 followers

@HighPockets group

I was doing some reading on banned books this morning and learned that Harry Potter has been banned due to the characters "using nefarious means to attain goals"
What kinda boring books are you reading, Karen? Don't you enjoy a bit of nefariousness once and a while?

@HighPockets group

No, the witchcraft was a separate ban. I think this one was meant to be about the kids disobeying teachers and sneaking around or something.

@berlioz

I was doing some reading on banned books this morning and learned that Harry Potter has been banned due to the characters "using nefarious means to attain goals"
What kinda boring books are you reading, Karen? Don't you enjoy a bit of nefariousness once and a while?

Ayy I was reading about banned books on ALA yesterday. Of course, most of the banned and challenged books were queer related.

@HighPockets group

Ayy I was reading about banned books on ALA yesterday. Of course, most of the banned and challenged books were queer related.

Eight of the top ten books banned in 2019 were queer, all except for Harry Potter (wItChCrAfT!!!) and The Handmaid's Tale.

@HighPockets group

Let's be real, people banning The Hate U Give for "profanity and drug use" have a much, much different reason for actually wanting to ban it. Same with the people who want to ban Anne Frank's diary for being "sexually explicit" or whatever they're trying to ban it for.

@HighPockets group

Apparently Fun Home was challenged for violence? I literally finished reading it 10 minutes ago and there really wasn't any violence shown. I get the "graphic images" part but it never felt like it was supposed to be, like, erotic or anything. Maybe I'm too ace to get it lol.

@berlioz

I saw Captain Underpants getting challenged and the reason was that it "encourages disruptive behavior" or something like that, until I noticed that the REAL reason was because there was a same-sex couple. Like, wow. It's a kids comic. Get over it.

@ccb group

crazy how people just coincidentally want to ban books that shed light upon important social issues for reasons completely unrelated to the social issues. obviously they just don't like their children having access to sexually explicit material, and they are not at all trying to suppress dissenting voices in order to better indoctrinate them

@ElderGod-kirky group

my mom is trying to get me to go with my school district's online school to keep the money with them, but looking at the fucked up list of courses that make no sense to me isn't really selling me on the idea

@HighPockets group

I saw Captain Underpants getting challenged and the reason was that it "encourages disruptive behavior" or something like that, until I noticed that the REAL reason was because there was a same-sex couple. Like, wow. It's a kids comic. Get over it.

Especially since the context is that the final book does a little epilogue and it shows that one of the two leads (I don't remember their names lol) ends up marrying a guy. It's not even like there's a central gay couple or anything, like one panel of the kid all grown up and next to his husband is ban-worthy to these clowns.

@HighPockets group

crazy how people just coincidentally want to ban books that shed light upon important social issues for reasons completely unrelated to the social issues. obviously they just don't like their children having access to sexually explicit material, and they are not at all trying to suppress dissenting voices in order to better indoctrinate them

Gotta love how a teenage girl who died in the Holocaust writing a few diary entries about feelings she has for people is apparently ban-worthy.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

I've got a Nathaniel as well

What's yours like?

He starts off as a soft boy but slowly develops into a paranoid perfectionist as the story continues, all while keeping shades of Soft Boi that are visible in there. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.

Nice.

@Pickles group

I want to do all the things but the only thing I'm able to sit down and do is scroll through pinterest and watch the trail to oregon for the fiftieth time