forum The LGBTQ+ Community Chat :)
Started by @Tylerrr-M-P
tune

people_alt 232 followers

@RedTheLoveless

HEY EVERYONE
I need you to answer a question totally honestly. Don't let other peoples responses after yours.
Do you think the plural of octopus is octopi or octopuses?

Octopodes

@RedTheLoveless

Also hello new people. My name is Ace but you can call me Red. I am this site's local anti-villain. For now let's just say I'm a chaotic raging lesbian and we'll leave it at that.

@Euric_Knight

HEY GAYS
Everyone who said octopi or octopodes is WRONG. The plural of octopus is octopuses. It would be octopi if the word had a Latin root, but it has a Greek root and therefore is octopuses.

Deleted user

…………actually because it's greek it would be octopodes…..

@Euric_Knight

…………actually because it's greek it would be octopodes…..

I've actually heard things say conflicting things about if it is octopodes or octopuses so you may be right, but I'm still right about it not being octopi.

Deleted user

If you're using the Greek root it would definitely be octopodes, but the word octopus didn't exist in either ancient Latin or Greek so to a "native" plural is problematic. The word for the Roman/Latin and Greeks to refer to the animal was polypus/polypous. There was a very rare adjective in Greek oktapous, also incredibly rare in Latin form as octipes, but it merely meant "eight-footed" and did not refer to the creature we now call an octopus.

(shrugs) Etymology classes are fun.

Pretty much: All forms are both wrong and right.

Deleted user

whispers nerd

Yea but Im hot soooooooooooooooooo :P