forum The LGBTQ+ Community Chat :)
Started by @Tylerrr-M-P
tune

people_alt 232 followers

@actual-fandom-trash

Before I do the other coming out story, let me tell of the less stressful one where me and a friend both were coming back from a walk and were like "do you think you're straight?" "no, you?" "nah" and we parted ways

Okay now for the big one!
So we were all at a friends house. Just after summer started. School had ended a week prior. Me and my friends were just hanging out and having fun and it was honestly a great evening. Towards the end of this eve, I made the decision to come out, and I didn't want to back out either so I kept whispering to myself that I would do it. I kept saying "hey i have a small secret" under my breath and then one of my friends heard me. And she was like "ooh a secret??" and I just kinda clammed up thinking "now's your chance" but I couldn't formulate the words. And it wasn't that I wasn't ready, it was more my brain saying that "this is happening what are you doing this is happening" And it was at that moment that the doorbell rang and my mother arrived. So it was kind of a now or never thing. So I pulled two of my friends aside (one i considered myself closest to and my crush) and typed "i have a _____ on someone in this house" and my friends are smart enough to piece things together. But I left. I dropped the bomb and left and texted them. I told them who it was and granted them permission to tell the other people in the house. I went home with a huge ball of anxiety that honestly didn't resolve itself until i saw them again a couple months later and realized that things were only awkward in my head. They were accepting, and I was able to text everyone else who wasn't there and come out to them. No one really talked about it tbh and the only question I got asked was whether my parents knew or not and my answer was always "heck naahhh"

@thehobbit

Okay, here we go.

so I came out first to a friend. she was the first person I had ever met who was asexual and I told her the day that I found out. It was really cool to share that experience with her. I dont think I would've figured out im Ace half as soon as I did if it wasnt for her. SHe was obviously accepting and it went really well.

the second person I came out to was my best friend. I told her one day at school. I just told her and she asked me for a definition, which I gave, she said okay and we moved on. we added a bunch of Ace jokes into our everyday banter and it was absolutely great to hear.

I came out to a friend in a friend group next.I had come out to them because they kept asking me who I was attracted to and making sex jokes about me and I told them I was uncomfortable. They stopped making the jokes but, they continued to not understand "how Ijust dont feel anything". That kinda sucked but the jokes stopped at least.

then I tell my mom. this was a long process. I had just recently, think within months, figured out Im ace and I really wanted to tell her but I didnt know how to do it without just sending her to websites like Aven and giving her basic definitions. ALso I was terrified to try and have that conversation so I sent her a really long email detailing what I could and giving her links to all the websites I could possibly find on asexuality. (this was not the best idea) SHe came to me the next day and we had a conversation about it, she asked me a bunch of questions, trying to make sure I understood what I was saying and that she understood what it meant to me. I was uncomfortable and nervous the whole time because I wasnt exactly ready to do that yet. She asked me lots of things that I just dont have answers to like, if I want to get married, If i would be willing to do it if I got married, and stuff like that. I think the hardest part for me was the fact that it felt like she was trying to convince me not to identify as Ace because she knows what kind of crap the Queer community gets from people, and because im a christian and she didnt want me to have to deal with the process of redefining my beliefs in regards to sexuality and she didnt want me to go through the pain that it can potentially be to be christian and queer because people are rude across all sexualities and she doesn't want me to have to constantly defend my faith to people. But I dont feel like ive had o do too much of that. I feel like people in the community tend to be some of the most accepting people because we're all bashed on so much. what I got from the whole experience of coming out to her is that even tough she accepts me and loves me as I am, she can never truly understand. and ive had to learn to be okay with that

then I came out to one of my church friends that I had thought was more liberal than others and they told me that I am "destined for celibacy… just like the gays" and that I cant get married if I don't want to have sex because then like what's the point. needless to say we grew apart after that.

I then decided to come on here and say hi and introduce myself to everyone and like come out on here, which of course was a super positive experience

then, after taking forever to work up the courage, I went to my college's LGBT+ club on campus and i came out to a whole room of people. I think a few of you already heard me talk about how amazing of an experience it was for me and how good it was to be in a group of kind queer people and feel like I belonged there. it was great.

thenI came out to one of my friends here at college that I have a lot of classes with, I literally see them every day. it's great. I came out to them when they asked me what my experience with the abstinence sex talks we got at church and I realised that there was absolutely no way to answer without coming out. It was a great experience and she asked a lot of good questions and I felt like I was able to adequately answer most of them. it was really great and we became even closer friends and she's the only person on campus other than my roommate that im out to that isn't in the LGBT+ club, so it's really nice to have her around.

then today, I came out to my dad over the phone. It started when he came up to me the other day and said that this person in his art class was having his art displayed in a gallery and that it was about being asexual. when he said that I obviously panicked because it was very random and I didnt have the energy to have that conversation with him at the time. so I asked if we could go see the gallery together, we had planned to but today I realised that it wasnt gonna happen but since he had already gone I asked him about his thoughts on the art and stuff. He told me that it made him sad and I asked why, he said that it was because the guy had had so many hard experiences being ace and stuff and he said that it was sad because God made the artist that way, and how he's made other that way and obviously it's a thing because it's mentioned in the Bible and how he doesn't quite understand what a world without attraction would be like or what his marriage to my mom would be like since it's such an important part of his life. So once he had said all of that I was already crying of course, and I told him that what he had said was really encouraging. and he goes why. and I just mumble out through my tears "because im asexual." and it was quiet for a minute and he was like, yeah I could kinda tell, didn't you tell me that before. And I was like no I would remember that conversation and stuff and he said that he was trying to learn about the experiences of people with other life experiences than him and that includes asexuality and he said he's trying to understand it better. He told me that i'm his daughter and that means he loves me, no matter what i do or what i don't do he loves me because i'm his daughter and nothing's gonna change that. and then I cried for twenty minutes and the adrenaline didn't wear of for like an hour and I couldn't stop smiling.

@Shuri-the-Floof-Doggo

Well, what can I say, you guys truly have some guts, and I'm proud of all of you for coming out in this manner! Thank you for blessing me with these stories! I've been reading from the sidelines, and I'm interested in a lot of your stories!

@thehobbit

oh, also I came out to my sister over text today and all she did was 1 ask what asexual is and 2 once I explained it say okay and move on… so that was cool

@m1dn1g7t_ri0ts_13

I've been gone for awhile, but I might as well share my story. I originally identified as bi, but now I don't go by any sexuality. My friends know and they're okay with it. My parents also know though. When I came out to my mom she stared at me for a while in silence. She asks why as if it were a choice. I was shakily explaining that it wasn't a choice of mine, it just snuck up behind me and hit me on the head. She proceeds to tell me to pray that I would be straight and I begin to get mad, afraid, and embarrassed "What do you mean, pray it away?! Do you think of this as a curse or something?!". She told me yes and I panicked. I tried to run out of the room, but my mom wouldn't let me. She tries to use bible scripture to try and tell me that this is wrong and I'm angry and arguing with her. In the end, it turned out terrible. That was a bond that hasn't healed yet, or ever.

When I came out to my dad he was quite chill about it. He asked some questions that were slightly rude and stereotypical, but he honestly didn't know and he didn't mean to offend. I loved how well he took it and wished that was how my mom took it.

I knew how I wanted them to react. I wanted them to treat it normally. Talk about it like it's their version of normal, tease me, discuss the LGBT+ community. But no. Despite my dad's good reaction, it was something just as bad as my moms because it caused arguing… over me. It was painful to hear them arguing over something about this. Especially the remarks my mom made during the arguments. I wish I never came out. Maybe I could come out to my dad, but keep it secret from my mom. This is not what I wanted. Unlike some members of the LGBT+ community, I don't want rainbow banners and inspirational talks. I want to blend in and be treated normally. Some straight girls take for grated when their parents talk to them about boys, but you can only want what you don't have. And I want this to be as normal and relaxed as anything. But I've made some mistakes, and I forever live them again in my arguments with my mom and my parents' arguments.

@RedTheLoveless

Oh jeez I've come out so many times for differents reasons uhhh I'll try to tell them in order.

1. Early sophomore year, I was questioning my sexuality and decided to bring it up with my mother. She was outside tending to the garden so I was like sweet this is perfect. I went out to help her with gardening and brought it up.
    "Hey mom?"
    "Yeah sweetie? What's up?"
    "What would you think if I brought home a girl?"
    "Well, I'd still love and support you just the same. So will your father. Just as long as you're happy and don't get pregnant."
    We chuckled at that and moved on.
  2. Later that day, my dad pulled me into a hug and said: "You'll always be my child. I'll love you no matter what. I may not understand, but if you're happy then that's enough for me."
  3. Later that same year, I came out to a small group of classmates, including one who went on the McConnell Yosemite trip with me.
  4. Literally the second question I was asked once we arrived at Yosemite was "Oh? So what's your sexuality?" And I decided to go ahead and say pansexual and then proceeded to explain what it meant. Redhead bitch started to attack me, saying I was just fooling myself and an idiot. My classmate told her to "back the fuck off, firecrotch" and then it was revealed that they'd be sharing a tent together, along with a lovely girl from my Trail Group. They made sure firecrotch stayed in line for the rest of the trip.
  5. Came out to my best friends the same night we all went to a Sadie's Dance by nonchalantly bringing up I was dating a nonbinary person at that time. When we went out to dinner, they asked me some questions and we got into a deep discussion involving religious beliefs and the LGBT+/SAGA community. They were super accepting and we proceeded to have a fun night.
  6. I'm very open about my sexuality that the only people who don't know are people that don't talk to me because I intimidate them by being smarter than them.
  7. Figured out that flipping my gender identity every few days/weeks was, in fact, not normal. Soon discovered I was genderfluid after that, and then proceeded to tell the Mistake Quartet before I told you guys.
  8. Told my parents. Mom gets a free pass on name usage cuz chemo messes with her head and memories hard. Dad still thinks of me as his daughter, which I don't mind since he still loves and accepts me. He just doesn't understand, and that's fine.
  9. Told one of my best friends after finally figuring out a preferred name I liked (Ace). She was again, super accepting and when she took me to the theater last weekend she was trying her best to use my preferred name.

This is in order to the best of my ability. Ranging from the beginning of sophomore year to the beginning of senior year.

@Moxie group

The first person I came out to was my friend last year who is also bi. I was shaking and my voice was shaking and I just said, "I think I'm bi . . ." And she just smiled and told me welcome to the club and it was pretty cool.
The second person I came out to was one of my best friends. My school goes on a camping trip every year and we were alone walking back from our tents and I told her I'm bi and she hugged me and told me she was glad I trusted her enough to tell her.
And then I came out to my best friend a few days after she told my sister and I that she might be bi
And then I came out to my friend last weekend who is pan and out. She told me that she knew I was "too cool to be straight" and she also said the way I sit makes sense now. (I can not sit normally to save my damn life)

Deleted user

I deadpanned to my parents and introduced them to my girlfriend less than five minutes later.

@Cloudy_is_trying_her_best

I came out to my friends first. One of them thought they were also pan ace(they're just pansexual now, but they were the ones who told me about both of those terms!), and everyone in my friend group was okay with it.

Then I decided to come out to my mom. Just as ace, though, to test the waters.

She said that she was cool about it, the typical "you're still my daughter, I still love you" thing. Then she said something along the lines of "it does make me sad that you're choosing to miss out on such a beautiful part of life." I wanted to tell her that no, it's not a choice, it's who I am, but I've kind of figured out by now that she doesn't listen when someone tries to contradict her. Eventually, I told her that I was panromantic and she–VERY aggressively, I might add–told me that I shouldn't limit myself with labels. Bitch??? Is you illiterate??? The prefix pan means all, stupid, but not everyone's an english nerd, so I explained that to her, and she said "I WASN'T FINISHED"(protip: don't take a long pause if you're nOT DONE TALKING YA DINGUS) and proceeded to tell me that there were only two genders and that people that are genderfluid or nonbinary have some kind of "underlying identity issues" which pissed me off. But of course, I was raised to never contradict anyone ever, god forbid it be my mom and GOD FORBID SHE MIGHT ACTUALLY BE WRONG FOR ONCE.

My dad was cooler about it. And my aunt actually bought me an ace pride tee-shirt for Christmas(it says "ACE AND AWESOME" and has an axolotl carrying an ace pride flag on it and I LOVE IT). Honestly if she asks me why I chose to cut ties with her once I'm out of the house, I'm just going to go. On. A. Fucking. Rant. And probably scream in her face. I could discuss her verbally abusive tendencies and other bs she does but this doesn't really seem like the place to do that…

@m1dn1g7t_ri0ts_13

I'm so sorry. My mom was angry at me when I told her I was bi. She pressured me to not be bi and now that's why I don't go by a sexuality. I know what it's like. I'll be here for you to rant to.

Deleted user

I came out to my friends as pan and trans earlier this year. Last night, I wrote my mum a letter and she was semi-cool with it.

@m1dn1g7t_ri0ts_13

I came out to my friends as pan and trans earlier this year. Last night, I wrote my mum a letter and she was semi-cool with it.

That's a great way to come out to your mum!