it's straight up facts

Deleted user

Avril Lavigne is dead

okay i actually agree with this shit

it's straight up facts

oathhh

Deleted user

Saw this discussion and I have a question to ask:

What’s everyone’s opinions on compulsory military service? Against it? Support it? Neutral? I know a lot of people can have pretty varied opinions on this sort of stuff.

I personally don’t have much of an opinion on it myself. It’s kind of like; I’m okay it with. Doesn’t mean I love it, but I don’t dislike it either. Which is part of the reason why I’m asking, to see the other opinions on it.

In my country, Switzerland military service is compulsory for every male (that qualifies) at 18 years old, and they serve for a minimum of 245 days. However it’s not like we’re going to go and bonk some people on their heads, seeing as we’re all neutral here in Switzerland. The last war we actively fought in was in 1847, which is quite some time ago.

So yeah: opinions on compulsory military service?

I know this was a few pages back but I really wanted to pick up on this. Personally, I guess I somewhat support it? I personally think it could present good opportunities for later in life, and that it would provide neat experiences. I don't really mind if people don't want to serve - it doesn't bother me too much, I respect their choices.

And yeah, for a limited time it sounds good. If people have a valid reason to not serve; sure. I don't think people should be charged for not serving, like they are in my home country, Belarus.

This is also coming from someone who does plan to serve later in life, for the reasons I've somewhat stated above as well my interest in the career, so there's that.

Also yeah the detail is pretty neat. I didn't realize Switzerland had mandatory service. Belarus does too, but we also really need a reform when it comes to that stuff, so adding onto my points: make sure it's up to date with standards.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

I think the service is more than fine, but in no way should anyone be forced to do just about anything; especially something that might risk their life (though I acknowledge Eris's statement). I would also like to mention that soldiers who were brought against their will might be more trouble than a help.

@amber_is_in_a_loop

I've got a question
If a piece of media shows very sensitive subject matter, and an equal split of people found it either very helpful or very harmful, would you encourage this piece of media or discourage it? The question is a bit hard to phrase, so ask for clarification if it's needed

@Nie-Huaisang-is-lost-in-the-stars group

(I think I get it.)

I say you discourage it. I believe this because say you have one million people who gave it harmful/helpful feedback. 500,000 people is a lot of people, and to think that what you showed them had hurt them all? That's not good. So what? People saw it, people found it helpful, good for you, I guess. But to have that many people feel emotionally damaged due to that and still encourage it? That's basically asking for mental health issues to rise.

@amber_is_in_a_loop

TRIGGER WARNING
Well this stemmed from the TV show 13 Reasons Why. It shows a lot of very graphic scenes of self-harm, suicide and other types violence. And though this is arguable, my opinion is that it romanticises a lot of very serious issues (suicide included).
A lot of people found it perfect and honest and amazing for encouraging teenagers to be open about their mental health, but I and many others found it extremely disturbing and triggering.

@Starfast group

Lol I knew this was about 13 Reasons Why before you even said it.

Yeah, the show is super graphic in some scenes but it also has content warnings?

@amber_is_in_a_loop

That's fair.
But in general, I think that scenes like that in a show aimed at teenagers are unnecessary and just of poor judgement.
But then again, as a teenager, I may be biased.

Deleted user

I think that show is overrated in every single way, but I do not think that it's overly graphic? Honestly, I've seen worse stuff on Netflix that doesn't have content warnings.

Besides–everyone knew what that show was going to be about going in, if they watched it anyway knowing that they are sensitive to that kind of stuff it's their own fault.

Deleted user

I would also like to mention that soldiers who were brought against their will might be more trouble than a help.

unlikely. it's not like one would purposely fuck up a military operation where people could get killed and said soldier getting an dishonorable discharge/ worse punishment.

@amber_is_in_a_loop

I think that show is overrated in every single way, but I do not think that it's overly graphic? Honestly, I've seen worse stuff on Netflix that doesn't have content warnings.

Besides–everyone knew what that show was going to be about going in, if they watched it anyway knowing that they are sensitive to that kind of stuff it's their own fault.

Alright, thank you