forum Show off Your Art!!!
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 196 followers

@Fraust

Either way you definitely need to credit the original image
I personally wouldn't since it's a very controversial subject and I tend towards the negative, but as long as you credit everything properly I think it would be okay

@StarkSpangledMayflower

Its an image of a drawing someone had done of a face that I found on Google

I like the proportions and I wanted to use it for a basic sketch. I like the hood the girl was wearing and how the shadows worked (can't figure that stuff for the life of me) but i wanted to take the face and draw a body with my own mind

I would only use it for a sketch but change it up so technically it isn't that person's property. It would still be taking the person's original idea and changing it

@tungsten fastfood

Personally if it's a picture I wouldn't worry about it. If its an original piece of art then I'd give credits, but I've traced proportions and changed it in later stages and I've been fine.

@Katastrophic group

Based on nearly a decade of art and online stuff/posting art, here's what I got. If you reference directly from the photo, you list it, give credit, link it or whatever. If you trace over it for stuff like line art, then that's tracing and generally a big no. That said, there is a difference between tracing it to study the proportions/shading (in which it's a "study of _" not an original piece) and tracing someone else's art. If they made it as a base then they will usually have something about use rights in their descriptions or on their pages. Otherwise, I would avoid tracing at all unless you have explicit permission from the artist.

If you do really like the proportions and shading, I think trying a "study" of it would be the best, because then you can more or less replicate it and see how the artist did it, rather than copy what they did. That way you have the knowledge of it and can use it more than just having a reference for one single artwork.

@Pickles group

It took me ages to find this (and along the way I found Doot the newt, els, I forgot about him and he's still so cute). Anyways, my first dip into realism almost a year ago

Parts of it are wonky and I can't figure out what, but I've overworked it so much at this point so I'm letting it be

I was going to redraw it but I decided I kind of hate the reference so I used a different one and then I hated the way it turned out so we're not gonna look at it
Here's some things I hate less, ft ash and alaina from morbid. My style and technique have definitely changed

@Katastrophic group

Those are awesome Pickles!

I finished all the layers for my avatar! Drawing is so much slower when you have to have a new layer for every individual aspect. and then some. Now I just have to rig and animate it!

It feels so weird to not shade certain spots, like on the face under the bangs, but if they move then the shading doesn't make sense