forum Your personal venting space.
Started by @The-N-U-T-Cracker
tune

people_alt 117 followers

Deleted user

it's extremely historically inaccurate, i could go off for HOURS on how much i hate this book

Deleted user

‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjama’s’ is a book written by Irish writer John Boyne. It is about the friendship between a German and Jewish boy that ends in tragedy. Using specific literary techniques, Boyne positions the reader to have a shallow understanding of the Holocaust. Boyne shows us historically incorrect naiveté, an otherwise tension-filled relationship extremely stable and in the end, we are left feeling sorry for the wrong people.

First, Boyne doesn’t accurately represent the understanding Bruno has on the situation at hand and shows him as naive to the effects and consequences of the holocaust. Boyne stated in an interview, "For me…it seemed that the only respectful way to approach the subject was through innocence, with a fable told from the point of view of a rather naive child who couldn’t possibly understand the horrors of what he was caught up in…" In doing this, he has dulled down the reality of what actually would have happened during this time. Throughout the book, Bruno has little knowledge of who his father works for and what his job is in ‘Out-With’. He doesn’t know about the people on the ‘other side of the fence’. Until he meets a little boy, the same age, who knows more about what’s happening and what Bruno’s people did to him and his family, yet they continue to have a strong relationship throughout the story.

The friendship between Bruno and Shmuel is shown to have no tension even though Shmuel has an understanding of what’s happening. During the time Shmuel and Bruno communicate over the course of the book, Shmuel explains what he knows to Bruno which would normally cause a rift between two people, even if they were 9. Their friendship seems quite easy, there was very little tension even when they first met. Despite Bruno exploring the camp, which was against his father’s request, this is portrayed as rather nonchalant, casual almost. On Shmuel’s side, he should be hateful, the Germans have taken away his home, his culture even his parents! Yet, he befriends the child of someone who has stolen everything from him. In reality, this wouldn’t have happened. The German, being ‘superiour’ wouldn’t have gone anywhere near the fence, no matter what age they were presented as. Let alone climb under to the other side to help find someone who was probably already dead, like so many of those who entered the concentration camps.

By the end of the book, the author leaves us feeling sorry for ONE German family who lost ONE child. Not the Jewish community who lost so much more. In chapter 20 specifically, we are given glimpses of what life is like for Bruno’s family after the disappearance of their child. ‘Mother did not return to Berlin quite as quickly as she had hoped… one day, quite suddenly, she thought he might have made his way home alone, Gretel returned to Berlin with Mother and spent a lot of time alone in her room crying, A few months after that some other soldiers came to Out-With and Father was ordered to go with them, and he went without complaint and he was happy to do so…’. We see these things and they make us sympathise with Bruno’s family, they lost one child. The Jewish community, by the tie WW2, ended lost 1.5 MILLION children. 1.5 million children and we don’t bat an eyelid, we don’t shed a tear. Boyne has written the book so we feel sorry for the wrong people during this time in history and it’s not okay!

Using specific literary techniques, Boyne positions the reader to have a shallow understanding of the Holocaust. He shows naiveté where it shouldn’t be, a stable friendship between two enemies and shifts our sympathy to the incorrect party in this situation. The statement that this should be a historically factual read is completely false according to research and this should be corrected immediately!

Deleted user

and yes i did just copy and paste my entire essay in because it hits the main points

Deleted user

I'm looking at violent death images and finding it interesting, am I a psychopath?

Deleted user

no, but i am kind of.. also this week be halloween week broskies! Corpse bride costume pictures TBA

Deleted user

I CAN'T DECIDE!(whether you should live or die) okay but im prolly just gonna wear a dragon onsie cause im lazy, cold, and little. it works. Also you are too a psychopath, welcome to the club!

Deleted user

no

i do too, not as much as i used to but i still do it (and know a few people who do as well but won't admit to doing so to the general public)

it's curiosity for the most part, morbid, but still curiosity

Deleted user

I CAN'T DECIDE!(whether you should live or die) okay but im prolly just gonna wear a dragon onsie cause im lazy, cold, and little. it works. Also you are too a psychopath, welcome to the club!

YEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

@Pickles group

Also you are too a psychopath, welcome to the club!

Not necessarily. Gruesome pictures can be fascinating to a lot people, hence the popularity of horror shows and movies. It depends on WHY you're interested. Being a psychopath, and for that matter, a sociopath isn't necessarily inherently bad, it's what you choose to do. It has such a negative connotation because we like to stick those labels to serial killers, aka famous psychopaths. If you really think you need help, get it

Deleted user

Also you are too a psychopath, welcome to the club!

Not necessarily. Gruesome pictures can be fascinating to a lot people, hence the popularity of horror shows and movies. It depends on WHY you're interested. Being a psychopath, and for that matter, a sociopath isn't necessarily inherently bad, it's what you choose to do. It has such a negative connotation because we like to stick those labels to serial killers, aka famous psychopaths. If you really think you need help, get it

yeah, and looking at them doesn't automatically classify you either.
'Psychopathy is traditionally a personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, and egotistical traits.'
I look at those sort of photos but i don't show those traits. plus it's something that should be officially diagnosed.

@ElderGodSwimwithGamers group

EE

Also- running on zero because nightmares equal two hours of sleep at the most (I refuse to look at the clock at night because of superstitions) and I have so much crud I have to do I wanna cry—

Deleted user

EE

Also- running on zero because nightmares equal two hours of sleep at the most (I refuse to look at the clock at night because of superstitions) and I have so much crud I have to do I wanna cry—

-offers hugs- If the moon shines through my window and on me at night, it's said moonlight gives one nightmares so I also don't sleep a lot. Summer is hell.

@ElderGodSwimwithGamers group

-accepts hug-

I just haven't been able to get a lot of sleep lately- leg cramp Friday night, having to stay up super late Saturday night to get housework done, and nightmares last night. I've had a total of about 5 hours of sleep this past three days, and I need at least 8 a night to be able to function ;-;
I also feel really bad because my bf and I started a new roleplay and I haven't been able to scrape enough mental juices together to figure out how to respond, because God dangit I'm gonna give him the best response possible.

Deleted user

oof -hugs ev- welp…ill trade ya! i dont get any sunlight or moonlight in my room i sleep in a basement

This topic has been locked by a moderator.