forum Share things nobody asked you to share
Started by @Knight-Shives group
tune

people_alt 206 followers

@SupernaturalSyGuyIsTIred group

Hey, y’all! Um…I've hit a roadblock in my book, and I have a quick question.
I have a small scene where this kid is being taught how to swordfight, and I have no clue how to go about it.
Do any of y’all sword fight, or do you know someone who does and is willing to help me?

https://pin.it/6OdoL4C

I'm looking for something else that might help you. Hang on a bit.

I have a small scene where this kid is being taught how to swordfight, and I have no clue how to go about it.
Do any of y’all sword fight, or do you know someone who does and is willing to help me?

You could also make your own thread in skill sharing or general writing, put something like "Swordfighting Help?" as the thread title and copy-paste what you put here there.

(I don't mind that you asked for help here, but others can be kinda… picky about putting things in a thread that they think it [some random thing] doesn't belong there.)

@ElderGod-Winter-The-Renegade-Legionnaire book

Oh ho ho you've found me homie. I used to do fencing. Same principle, differemt blade shape.

Deleted user

You could also make your own thread in skill sharing or general writing, put something like "Swordfighting Help?" as the thread title and copy-paste what you put here there.

(I don't mind that you asked for help here, but others can be kinda… picky about putting things in a thread that they think it [some random thing] doesn't belong there.)

Thanks a bunch!
Alrighty, I don't want to make anyone mad, so I'll move my question to the skill-sharing thread. :)
Thanks again!!

Deleted user

Oh ho ho you've found me homie. I used to do fencing. Same principle, differemt blade shape.

Oooo, I've always wanted to swordfight, you be lucky!!

Thanks a bunch!
Alrighty, I don't want to make anyone mad, so I'll move my question to the skill-sharing thread. :)
Thanks again!!

No worries here. You're welcome, and good luck! Feel free to come on back any time! :-)

@Stone_King_2931 Alright. So first off there are several different starting stances. And it all depeds if your character is left or right handed. Basically lead arm=lead foot unless you've trained in an off stance. Left goes with left, and right goes with right. Unless you're wide open then feet are spaced a little more than shoulder width apart and your arms are open wider for maneuverability. For a rapier your hand that is not in use is tucked behind your back for protection, and the steps are fluid, yet almost robotic. Basically a well oiled machine. Longsword/broadsword fighting is different however. Both hands are placed on the hilt of the weapon in order to maintain balance, unless it is light enough to be considered a one handed weapon. Then the hand not in use is placed upon the breast to be used when need for balance or for shoving a person, or holding a shield. The movements are blocky and chaotic, and there is no set pattern. That's all I can put for now bc I'm eating dinner, but feel free to PM me.

Deleted user

@Stone_King_2931 Alright. So first off there are several different starting stances. And it all depeds if your character is left or right handed. Basically lead arm=lead foot unless you've trained in an off stance. Left goes with left, and right goes with right. Unless you're wide open then feet are spaced a little more than shoulder width apart and your arms are open wider for maneuverability. For a rapier your hand that is not in use is tucked behind your back for protection, and the steps are fluid, yet almost robotic. Basically a well oiled machine. Longsword/broadsword fighting is different however. Both hands are placed on the hilt of the weapon in order to maintain balance, unless it is light enough to be considered a one handed weapon. Then the hand not in use is placed upon the breast to be used when need for balance or for shoving a person, or holding a shield. The movements are blocky and chaotic, and there is no set pattern. That's all I can put for now bc I'm eating dinner, but feel free to PM me.

Thank you so much Winter!!
<333

Deleted user

Thanks!
Yeah, I've been researching on youtube, websites, even asking my parents to sign me up for a sword fighting school.
I'm just trying to figure out how to go about it, especially since the character is a beginner. Like, what should I mention, how deep should I go into the training, how would I describe a stance like the right oches, etc…

I'm sorry if this is complicated :D

Thanks!
Yeah, I've been researching on youtube, websites, even asking my parents to sign me up for a sword fighting school.
I'm just trying to figure out how to go about it, especially since the character is a beginner. Like, what should I mention, how deep should I go into the training, how would I describe a stance like the right oches, etc…

I'm sorry if this is complicated :D

Just PM me and I'll try to explain this as best as I can.

Deleted user

APDSOFJKASPOFKEO THAT KID MADE A BUNcH OF ABLEIST JOKES AGAIN AND IT TOOK ALL OF MY STRENGTH NOT TO SMASH HIS HEAD INTO THE COUNTER AND BREAK HIS NOSE AND I SWEAR TO GOD-

Deleted user

APDSOFJKASPOFKEO THAT KID MADE A BUNcH OF ABLEIST JOKES AGAIN AND IT TOOK ALL OF MY STRENGTH NOT TO SMASH HIS HEAD INTO THE COUNTER AND BREAK HIS NOSE AND I SWEAR TO GOD-

It's Mafia time loads glock

@berlioz

Question for people who talk out loud when they're alone: when you read books and the MC is exclaiming things or wondering things out loud, do you think "Yeah that's something I'd do," or do you think that's weird? Cuz I've always been like no one does that, it's weird that the character says that out loud when no one is around. Why didn't the author just write that the MC thought that same thing?
But I just realized I'm the only person I know who doesn't talk out loud alone, so maybe just I think it's weird.

@berlioz

But I gotta know cuz if I ever start writing novel style I can't write a character who never talks out loud to themselves cuz then they won't be relatable, and everyone will go "why doesn't the MC just talk outloud? Why does the author make them think everything?"
You know what I mean? 👁👄👁

Question for people who talk out loud when they're alone: when you read books and the MC is exclaiming things or wondering things out loud, do you think "Yeah that's something I'd do," or do you think that's weird? Cuz I've always been like no one does that, it's weird that the character says that out loud when no one is around. Why didn't the author just write that the MC thought that same thing?
But I just realized I'm the only person I know who doesn't talk out loud alone, so maybe just I think it's weird.

I do that all the time. It's perfectly normal. Don't worry.

@Relsey-TheElder

Oh I don't just talk out loud I have full on conversations with my desk chair, or my tea pot, the wall, the door, a random T shirt, that one left shoe who's match I can't find but I keep because when one is having Romance issues who better to talk to than a shoe with not match. So uh yeah, talking out loud by myself, I do it all the time.

I do that all the time. It's perfectly normal. Don't worry.

Pfttt…. I do that whether I'm alone or not!