forum Debate. Debate. Debate.
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 109 followers

@HighPockets group

Is Juliet Capulet a good character?

Yes.
She's just a girl but is having near-everything about her controlled by her parents, who want her to marry a duke. She's sheltered and naive so she thinks she falls in love with the first guy she meets, who happens to be a Montague. When things spiral out of control, she uses what little agency she has as a woman in ye olden days Verona trust me, Verona is 100% batshit crazy, read The Two Gentlemen of Verona to see why to fake her death in an attempt to live the life she wants, but her letter gets lost.
Not to mention she's 13. A literal child who's stuck in the middle of an intense feud she had nothing to do with and experiencing attraction for the first time.

Deleted user

Noooooooooooooooooooooo. She's not a good character and that's the point

Deleted user

(Ugh this makes me think back to high school.)

To be fair, none of the charatcers in R&J are good.
But I can't sympathize with a character that is throwing a massive hissy fit because she's spoiled and not getting what she wants.

R&J was never written to be romantic or soul crushing in it's attempt to convey what love is. It's a tragedy of people getting caught up in the whims of wealthy society, how dissociated children are with the world around them, and how even the slightest event can shift the course of an otherwise great weekend into something horrid.

@HighPockets group

Don't eat it though, you don't want his filth in your body.
Listen Two Gents is my least favorite Shakespeare play so far and I would skskskskin Proteus if I had the chance. Not really, but you get the point.

@HighPockets group

Listen, Sylvia and Julia need to run away together because Proteus? Trash. Valentine? Not as trash but still should've just stood up for himself. Speed and Lance? Valid. They can stay.
Proteus gets a job and exchanges rings with Julia, then falls in love with Sylvia when he's there. Sylvia loves Valentine, and since Proteus is a selfish asshole he rats on Valentine to Sylvia's father and gets him banished. Then he gives Sylvia the ring he got from Julia. Julia, having not heard from Proteus for a long time, crossdresses (because Shakespeare) and goes to wherever he is and befriends him, and Proteus starts telling 'Sebastian' about how he never really loved Julia in the first place. Then Sylvia runs off to be with Valentine and Proteus chases her down, catches her and Valentine and threatens to rape Sylvia. Valentine talks him out of it and basically agrees to give him Julia if he lets him have Sylvia (Julia has revealed herself to have been disguised as Sebastian).

In conclusion, Proteus is shit and also a would-be rapist, he's terrible to Julia, Sylvia, Valentine, and Lace and his dog, and can choke.

Deleted user

(because Shakespeare) Is really the only excuse I will every let anyone get away with for bad characters.

Deleted user

You know who's a shit character?
Proteus
I would eat his heart in the marketplace if I could, he's such an asshole.

You know who’s a shit character? ME no one can top me being garbage oof