forum The LGBTQ+ Community Chat :)
Started by @Tylerrr-M-P
tune

people_alt 232 followers

@thehobbit

I might be a little late to this realization but Newt Scamander is officially cannonically autistic and I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!
as an autistic person im really happy to see good representation and i know that's not really the purpose of theis chat but it's making me super happy and just aldknsagjnk;fjhpaihaposdngjlnhhnfskj thanks

here is the link to the article and interview!!! https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2461728/eddie-redmayne-does-think-newt-scamander-is-on-the-autism-spectrum

@Becfromthedead group

I know a lot of people that have headcannoned that. It's super cool that it's actually a real thing though. Autism needs a lot more positive representation than it actually has.

@HighPockets group

I might be a little late to this realization but Newt Scamander is officially cannonically autistic and I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!
as an autistic person im really happy to see good representation and i know that's not really the purpose of theis chat but it's making me super happy and just aldknsagjnk;fjhpaihaposdngjlnhhnfskj thanks

here is the link to the article and interview!!! https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2461728/eddie-redmayne-does-think-newt-scamander-is-on-the-autism-spectrum

MERLIN'S BEARD YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I always knew there was a reason that I related to him so much.

@thehobbit

I always knew there was a reason that I related to him so much.

Exactly!!!! It makes me really happy to have such good representation (especially rep I can relate to) in such a popular franchise! I headcannoned him as autistic ever since watching the first movie in theatres, even my Dad mentioned to me that he seemed Autistic. And im so happy they actually made it cannon instead of just saying he was weird.

@Overdoneyanoveltropeyesplease

I’m assuming then that he’s portrayed well? I have to admit that I don’t know a lot about autism, but I hope that your excitement means that his being autistic makes sense and isn’t there just for the sake of being there.

@thehobbit

I’m assuming then that he’s portrayed well? I have to admit that I don’t know a lot about autism, but I hope that your excitement means that his being autistic makes sense and isn’t there just for the sake of being there.

Yes, he is definately portrayed as Autistic. He avoids eye-contact, he is blunt, he is not great with emotions or social interactions, I could go on and on about it but ill spare you my info dumping.
but Yes, he is portrayed as Autistic and it's done WELL which is sadly all too uncommon.

Deleted user

wow, JK Rowling included actual representation in her franchise? that’s surprising

Deleted user

I think Harry was bi. You generally don't notice what a nice shade of platinum your opponents hair is in the middle of a duel

@blue_topaz

I think Harry was bi. You generally don't notice what a nice shade of platinum your opponents hair is in the middle of a duel

Lmao true that
Also there’s no way Sirius and Remus weren’t gay for eachother
I know it wasn’t mentioned in the book, but I still ship it

@Euric_Knight

Um, wasn’t Dumbledore gay??

Only as a cheap bit of rep.

Idk..

Yeah, she just kinda said that out of nowhere, it doesn't come into play in the series at all so it was just for getting a bit of rep in.

Deleted user

Lmao true that
Also there’s no way Sirius and Remus weren’t gay for eachother
I know it wasn’t mentioned in the book, but I still ship it

Same. They're like, one of my many ships

@Becfromthedead group

I think JKR needs to acknowledge she didn't have great representation in her works to begin with… I feel like she tries to go back and correct herself, and I'm not convinced.

@Max_Miracle_DroppedMostOfTheirRPs

On the subject of Dumbledore being gay though. This was a thing that happened.

This one girl basically commented something about Dumbledore being gay, she said “I guess I just never saw Dumbledore to be that type of person”

Rowling responded “maybe that’s because they’re just normal people.”

Idk, was cool for me

Deleted user

Yeah, Dumblebore was gay, but would you have any idea of that if you aren’t in the fandom??? Like, there’s no mention in the books.