forum Advice
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 51 followers

Deleted user

hi

Someone in my life most recently had a bad experience with therapy. They spent a good chunk of it on the first fourty-ish minutes of the appointment waiting for the therapist to come out and get them, but turns out they had to go see the therapist. So they got about a twenty-minute session for diagnosis, and they’re super, I mean extremely, disappointed with it. They didn’t even get their diagnosis results back, and they felt extremely rushed to tell them everything wrong. This has made a sense of distrust.

I told them they need a new therapist.

Thoughts? Advice please?

@Becfromthedead group

Well, chances are, you're right. A lot of the time, the first therapist you see might not be right for you. It wasn't for me, that's for sure, but that doesn't mean you should give up or stop looking for help. Therapy is not a one size fits all solution, so some therapists work well for some people and others work better for other people, and sometimes a bad first experience means you shouldn't waste your time with that same therapist again. However, it doesn't mean quit trying to get therapy. Also, you do not work out all your issues or always get a diagnosis the first session. That's just not how things work. You can't make a diagnosis without a deep enough understanding of the person. It took a couple of months of therapy for me to get a diagnosis, personally, and I don't think it was because a bad job was being done.

Deleted user

Alright

They said their next session was in twenty days, and they think it’s too long for them without getting help, but the place is going on summer vacation.

But thanks for the bit about the diagnosis, I’ll tell them.